Thread: Chromium + Flash problem

Beans

Chromium + Flash problem

This is just a quick FYI post. I learned long ago not to spend endless hours trying to fix some insanely trivial problem that should have been working out of the box. My heart can't take it. And to be honest it's too expensive. Installed Firefox instead which just works.

1. Using Chromium Version 37.0.2062.120 Built on Ubuntu 12.04, running on elementary OS 0.2.1 (281580).
    2. Wanted to update my website at weebly.com but "Oops! You need flash player to use this editor".
    3. Followed directions here ;
    4. Gave up. (Maybe this thread can help someone else)

Install Flash Player 11.2

1. Download the latest Flash Player from the Adobe site. [OK]

2. Unpack the installation file. [OK]

tar -zxvf flashplayer_11_plugin_debug.i386.tar.gz

The package contains the following:

• libflashplayer.so
      • usr

3. Create a directory, plugins, in the Google Chrome's installation directory.
      sudo mkdir /opt/google/chrome/plugins [This is not the correct dir. Rather it's in /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins/]

4. Copy libflashplayer.so to the plugins directory.
      cp libflashplayer.so /opt/google/chrome/plugins [OK after changing path]

5. Copy the Flash Player Local Settings configurations files to the /usr directory.
      sudo cp –r usr/* /usr

[Doesn't work at all. Gives:

mecomp:~/Downloads$ sudo cp –r usr/* /usr
      cp: cannot stat `–r': No such file or directory
      cp: omitting directory `usr/bin'
      cp: omitting directory `usr/lib'
      cp: omitting directory `usr/share'

Then I try to copy the files manually and check that I have all the priviliges, which I have. Error message: "Permission denied". ]

6. Restart Google Chrome and enable system Flash Player. [I don't get this far]

END_

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Chromium + Flash = FUBAR

You went wrong at the first step by going to adobe and downloading the flashplayer from there.

Chromium needs the libpepflashplayer that google-chrome uses and will not work with the flashplayer still used by Firefox.

For chromium in the most recent ubuntu OSs, you just need to run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree
    and it's all done for you.

I'm.not sure about Elementary-OS based on 12.04, but I think it needs a PPA repository enabled.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Chromium + Flash problem

I'm not sure about Elementary OS either, but with Ubuntu the fix is indeed "insanely trivial" and is as ajgreeny has already posted. The package pepperflashplugin-nonfree is in the Ubuntu Multiverse repository, so if your Elementary sources.list includes that, the fix for Elementary will be the same.

You posted in Installation and Upgrades, a sub-forum of the Ubuntu Official Flavours Support section. Elementary is not an Ubuntu official flavour, so...

Thread moved to Ubuntu/Debian BASED.

I have amended your thread title, which was uncalled for.

My advice to anyone reading this thread and needing to enable flash in Chromium is to follow ajgreeny's post, not the method detailed by the OP.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

No, actually that was the first thing I tried. It didn't make any difference at all and that's why I moved on to the guide. Flash isn't available through the software center for chrome. I checked that too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by p.callan View Post
    No, actually that was the first thing I tried. It didn't make any difference at all and that's why I moved on to the guide.
    It's always worked for me in Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by p.callan View Post
    Flash isn't available through the software center for chrome. I checked that too.
    That’s because Google Chrome comes complete with flash pre-installed.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

See post #23 of thread at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1976503&page=2

That should work in Elementary-OS based on 12.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@ajgreeny, thanks for noticing that the OP is using a distro based on 12.04. I missed that. Yes, something based on 12.04 will need a PPA repository for the pepperflash plugin.

This following basically says the same as links that can be found from your link, but the OP may find this useful:

https://launchpad.net/~skunk/+archiv...u/pepper-flash

Beans

"That’s because Google Chrome comes complete with flash pre-installed."
    It may, but a "chrome: plugins" (or was it "about: plugins") doesn't list it either before nor after the attempted installation. And flash content doesn't work so..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Have you actually done what we have told you about enabling the PPA repository?

It worked for me when I was using 12.04 and chromium, so it should work for you as well. I am, however, getting confused about what application you are speaking about; google-chrome or chromium. If it's chromium you must add the PPA for pepperflash in 12.04; if it's google-chrome it comes with pepperflash installed by default, so no need to do anything extra.