Thread: Can't open ports with iptables

Beans

Can't open ports with iptables

I'm trying to open some port for a gameserver, which is running on my Linux vServer (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit). According to the WIKI the game communicates through the following ports:
    Code:
    16261 (UDP)
    16262 (TCP) // Player 1
    16263 (TCP) // Player 2
    16264 (TCP) // Player 3
    16265 (TCP) // Player 4
    // ...
    Since I'm not really experienced with Linux, I searched for some ways to open ports on Ubuntu. I followed these steps and entered the following commands:
    Code:
    iptables -I INPUT -p udp --dport 16261 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 16262 -j ACCEPT
    To make sure that it worked I checked iptables with "iptables -L" and got a list like that:
    Code:
    Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
    num  target     prot opt source               destination         
    1    ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:16262
    2    ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere             udp dpt:16261
    3    ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere             state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    4    REJECT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp flags:!FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW reject-with tcp-reset
    5    DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere             state INVALID
    6    ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
    7    ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:8443
    8    ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:8880
    9    ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:http
    10   ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:https
    11   ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:ftp
    12   ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:ssh
    13   ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:smtp
    14   ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:urd
    15   ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:pop3
    16   ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:pop3s
    17   ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:imap2
    18   ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:imaps
    19   ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:poppassd
    20   DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:mysql
    21   ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:postgresql
    22   ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:9008
    23   ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:9080
    24   ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere             udp dpt:netbios-ns
    25   ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere             udp dpt:netbios-dgm
    26   ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:netbios-ssn
    27   ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:microsoft-ds
    28   ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere             udp dpt:openvpn
    29   DROP       udp  --  anywhere             anywhere             udp dpt:domain
    30   DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:domain
    31   ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere             icmptype 8 code 0
    32   ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
    The two new entries are in fact in the list, but when I checked to see if the two ports are open it said that both ports (16261/26262) are still closed. If I use "netstat -ntulp" the ports also don't shop up. What am I doing wrong? A Teamspeak 3 and CS:GO server are already running without problems...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Can't open ports with iptables

The traffic destination is the same machine right? Because if you need port forwarding to another machine you need additional iptables commands.

The game/service is listening on those ports? Note that iptables will only allow the packets to enter but the service needs to be active and listening on those ports.

Also, since your input policy is drop, did you configure iptables to let related and established traffic in or you just added the two lines you mentioned?

To check running services and ports:
    netstat -plunt

Beans
    Distro

I just looked more closely at the rules. You do have the related and established traffic rule.

But what is the task of rules number 6 and 32? They seem to be accepting all traffic which beats the point of iptables firewall. Is that for test only? Note that you are probably not protected while you have those rules active.

Beans

Actually I just added the two lines I mentioned. All the other rules were there as default... I guess. I think I should probably delete rules 6 and 32 then? But as far as I can tell that wouldn't solve my actual problem. So I think I first make sure that this "Project Zomboid" gameserver is running on my vServer before deleting these rules.

It's the first time I've been using iptables to be honest. I'm not at all experienced with Linux, I just need a server for Games/Teamspeak. For the Teamspeak 3 and CS:GO server everything went just fine without doing anything. But for this new gameserver I can't connect to the server ("Connection failed"), although I can see and use the console without problems. I thought it might be the ports. So I checked the ports on this site (http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/) and they are in fact closed and still are, even after adding these two lines to iptables.

The gameserver (I guess that's what you meant with "service that is listening to those ports") is currently not running since it didn't work anyway. Does it need to be running in order to check the ports with http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/?

I'm not really sure what you mean with "The traffic destination is the same machine right?". But since I'm only using one hosted Linux vServer I guess it is the same machine.

Beans
    Distro

I don't know how that website checks the ports. It might expect for a service to be running on that port to confirm it's open. That might be a reason why it says they are closed.

The iptables commands you used are correct so the traffic destined to those ports should be let through.

I suggest you prepare the services and activate them, and only then check the ports and deal with any possible issues.

Beans

I just started the gameserver and checked both "netstat -ntulp" and "netstat -plunt" and

Code:
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
    tcp6       0      0 :::80                   :::*                    LISTEN      10234/apache2 
    udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:9987            0.0.0.0:*                           2455/ts3server_linu
    udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:16261           0.0.0.0:*                           27686/java
    is showing up in both of them. The online port checking tool still says that the port is closed though. I will try to connect to the server this evening (I'm not at home currently to check it) and report back if it worked out or not.

Beans

It worked, I could connect to the server, although this online tool says that the ports are closed. it seems that it's not really reliable. Anyway, thank you for your help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

FYI, that online tool only works if the server is listening on the port.
    As you stated the ports did not show as listening when running netstat.
    I'm not familiar with the game service, so there may be some prerequisites for
    the server to start listening on the port user ports.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.