Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webmin: Raid arrays

Beans

Webmin: Raid arrays

Hello everyone

I am having issues with webmin. On my HP ML350 G5 server I have installed Ubuntu 14.04.1 and accidentally managed to merge my raid 1 and raid 5 array by adding it to the file server- VG file. I think this was an accident or is this what I am meant to do? I have completely reinstalled Ubuntu to try and solve the issue.
    Also how do I access the raid 5 array? I can’t find any folders for the array.
    Thanks

Ps if you need any more screen grabs just ask.
    raid part.jpgvol mang.PNGvol group.PNGphys mang.PNG

Also I keep getting:

Failed to save volume group : Device /dev/cciss/c0d11 not found (or ignored by filtering).

Last edited by jake53; February 13th, 2015 at 04:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: [Webmin help] Raid arrays

First, this seems like hardware raid, created with the HP raid card (or onboard raid, which ever). Usually with linux server you would use linux software raid (mdadm).

When you say VG, is that Volume Group? Are you using LVM?

If you added anything into the LVM by mistake the correct way would be to try to remove it from the LVM while there is still no data on it (no extents are used). But by reinstalling you probably lost that chance.

If your server only had raid1 and raid5, where did you reinstall ubuntu? Does it have other disk(s) apart from the raid?
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Webmin: Raid arrays

Yes, I recognize HP SmartRaid as hw RAID. But... Not at home at the moment, so I can boot up that server. As I remember, doing blkid on them (or in a partioner), the SmartArray logical members don't show as /dev/sdX. They show as ccis something...

But logically, yes you can do things like that (LVM) whether it's software or hw RAID. Just like you can take mdadm and combine logical containers into something else. Logically, with LVM, you can combine one extent to another... It will work-- but why do it? Sort of defeats what you usually do those for by mixing the types right?

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Sorry for not responding.
    I used HP raid not linux raid

VG is volume group. Im not sure about using LVM or I dont know if I have

There are no other hard drives apart from the raid arrays.

Raid 1 contains two disks for ubuntu 14.04

Raid 5 is 3 disks for the main storage.

Hope this helps

Beans
    Distro

Can you login to the server using ssh and post the output of the following commands:
    Code:
    df -h
    sudo pvdisplay
    sudo vgdisplay
    I know webmin is interesting to some people because it's GUI interface, but I think you should try learning using the command line too. Plus I have read somewhere that sometimes webmin does the settings in its own way which in the long run can even mess up the server. Maybe this issue wouldn't have even happen if not using webmin because the command line helps you avoid drag&drop, wrong click and similar mistakes...
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

I havent setup ssh does it have to be via ssh ?

Beans

Here you go
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Did you have any important data on the raid5 array? Or you are still setting up the server and it was empty?
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Nope its all empty

Beans
    Distro

In that case I think it's better you start from scratch. Just reinstall ubuntu on the raid1 array, and use the raid5 for data with or without LVM. You actually don't need LVM especially if you are not planning to expand storage later. You can make the 2TB raid5 a single big data partition, and a mount point for it anyway you want, like /data for example.

Since you have no data to rescue, I think that's best. Webmin probably is using LVM for Logical Volumes option it shows on your first images. So unless you want to use LVM you don't need to create any logical volumes in that tab.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast