Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody have serious user information on BQ Ubuntu phone?

Beans

Re: Anybody have serious user information on BQ Ubuntu phone?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace..... View Post
    I wonder how long we must wait for a fully functional version?
    My personal point of view after working with the BQ phone for 2 weeks: At least one year.

Besides I think the Ubuntu Touch Desktop has a great concept there are a lot of more or less serious issues which let me come to the conclusion: At the moment just usable for Developers and Ubuntu Fans (like me ).

The major issues I struggle with:
    • Reboot needed at least after two days of usage as something doesn't work anymore, like
      • Automatic switching between mobile network and wlan
      • Manual switching between different wlans
      • Apps doesn't work anymore properly (crashes, hangs)

• No full Mail client included. Third party app Dekko is really very promising (but it's still in beta and it's not feature complete).
      • But for work I need to connect to an Exchange Server over https. Seems not to be implemented at the moment.
      • IMAP Accounts doesn't currently store my mail. Every time I start Dekko I need to connect to the IMAP-Servers (in the correct order) to see my mails again. (yes, I defined the related setting) [edit: works if you disable "start deiconnected"]
      • Attaching images doesn't work (reliable at least) [edit: that seems to be a photo gallery issue]

• Webapps are missing core features (maybe they are hidden or I am just to stupid to create it the right way, so don't blame me not being a developer )
      • automatic refresh / manual refresh - I didn't figure out how to update the content of the facebook app so far (I just saw it working with twitter webapp so far). My workaround: Close and restart the app.
      • links to subdomains open a new browser tab. While I think it's a good feature for external links, it's not so great for subdomain links in every case. For example: I am a regular user of "Tagesanzeiger" (Swiss newspaper). After some free articles you have to login (pay wall). Unfortunately the paywall is hosted on another subdomain, which starts the browser. After login access is granted to the browser but not the webapp. That's also the reason I didn't publish this app. It would be great if there was an option to tell the webapp to open predefined subdomains inside the webapp. (I used https://myapps.developer.ubuntu.com/...k-apps/upload/ to create this app)]

• [edit: point added] copy and paste of text does not yet work.

The minor issues in my opinion are:
    • notifications for facebook / twitter doesn't work
    • Only a very small number of apps is able to display notifications
    • Sending MMS with attached images fails (I didn't test it too hard)
    • The lock screen. Nice layout but the displayed information is kind of useless in my eyes.
      • number of missed calls is not displayed (of course there are the notification LED as well as the notifications)
      • number of unread messages is not displayed
      • number of unread emails is not displayed
      • I don't think it's interesting how many calls you did or you received today
      • I don't think it's interesting how many messages you wrote or you received today

• it's not possible to configure which scope to be the home scope
    • The today scope is displaying weather for the wrong location, and there seems no way to define a different one manually. GPS is activated of course. [edit: for some unknown reason it works since yesterday evening]
    • Webapps in general. I found several published webapps just not usable
      • mainly part of the previously mentioned "subdomain link issue"
      • google maps app: If you try to change the zoom factor the mapped is greyed out. Therefore: not usable at the moment. [edit: there is the app "here", but it misses some very usefull features googlemap has or they are not (yet) implemented with the same quality. e.g. search for public transfer routes)

I expected to receive an unfinished phone os, so I am really not dissappointed, but the above mentioned issues pretend me from being too enthusiastic.
    I think the pros are well documented, so I just mention my personal favorites.
    • the touch concept as such
    • and there especially the task manager, with its possibility to switch to the app used before or to close / switch to any of the opened apps
    • Info bar and its possibility to switch between the different informations once opened

[edit: And yes I am still using my ubuntu phone as my daily phone and I'm kind of loving it]

Stefan
    Last edited by stefan-kalb; April 9th, 2015 at 09:12 AM.

Beans

After having used the BQ E5 for a month I completely agree with the comments above. But my most annoying experience is the bad (unstable) wifi connection. I have had to change the IP many times manually since the OS/hardware itself does not do it. So in many ways: a useless smartphone. However, I have been a Ubuntu devotee since 2001, so Iĺl patiently wait for improvements...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stefan-kalb View Post
    No full Mail client included. Third party app Dekko is really very promising (but it's still in beta and it's not feature complete).
    Isn't there anyone working porting Thunderbird? That would seem to be the logical step. But then again TB is a heavy desktop application, so maybe it isn't possible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12