Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which alternative to flash player

Beans

Re: Which alternative to flash player

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    OK It's just that the OP said Firefox is warning me that I shouldn't use Flash Player -
    I don't ever recall having that.
    Probably he got the message all of us have been seeing frequently for the past few weeks, that the plugin has a security vulnerability and requires an update. The warning screen includes a link to the Adobe site, so it's not surprising that people will follow that and try to download the package from there.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Probably he got the message all of us have been seeing frequently for the past few weeks, that the plugin has a security vulnerability and requires an update. The warning screen includes a link to the Adobe site, so it's not surprising that people will follow that and try to download the package from there.
    +1. Agreed.

Beans

The error is specific to firefox as they have added an option which will give you that warning it you don't have the latest plugin. About a week ago it was .438, I updated four days ago to .440 and if you go to the Adobe site now, it is 11.2.202.442. If you see the warning, there is an option to Activate in the window, click that and you get a popup to Allow Now or Allow and Remember. The memory is pretty short as I selected it one time and a minute later went to another site and got the same warning. I got the warnings on the following systems plus a few others:

Ubuntu 14.04; firefox 31.0; flash-plugin 11.2.202.400
    Ubuntu 12.04; firefox 29.0; flash-plugin 11.2.202.285
    All worked with no warnings with the following:

Mint 17; firefox 28.0; flash-plugin 11.2.202.378
    Zorin 9; firefox 30; flash-plugin 11.2.202.394]
    The older versions of firefox don't have this option. Can't remember the name but you should be able to disable it in the location bar with about:config

Beans

The warning is specific to firefox as they have added an option which will give you that warning it you don't have the latest plugin. About a week ago it was .438, I updated four days ago to .440 and if you go to the Adobe site now, it is 11.2.202.442. If you see the warning, there is an option to Activate in the window, click that and you get a popup to Allow Now or Allow and Remember. The memory is pretty short as I selected it one time and a minute later went to another site and got the same warning. I got the warnings on the following systems plus a few others:

Ubuntu 14.04; firefox 31.0; flash-plugin 11.2.202.400
    Ubuntu 12.04; firefox 29.0; flash-plugin 11.2.202.285
    All worked with no warnings with the following:

Mint 17; firefox 28.0; flash-plugin 11.2.202.378
    Zorin 9; firefox 30; flash-plugin 11.2.202.394]
    The older versions of firefox don't have this option. Can't remember the name but you should be able to disable it in the location bar with about:config

Beans

The "Activate" message is not related to the version updates. It's a setting in Tools > Add-ons > Plug-ins. If you choose "Ask to Activate" as I have, you'll be asked whether to enable Flash on every site that uses it. You can tell Firefox to remember your choice for that site or ask separately each time.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I was getting the warning two days ago and yesterday there was an auto update that included the flash update.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber72 View Post
    or should I install pepper flash?
    It needs to work withh youtube and BBC radio
    Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    And FYI: I wasn't aware bbc radio required flash player. How silly would that be?
    And neither does youtube, so if that's all, you can live without flash.

Pepper flash doesn't work with firefox, but works with chromium and google chrome. Sometimes I need it. I prefer more modern solutions though, as they tend to work better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Chrome comes with pepperflash (the one you get from their website) so that's an easy way to always have the latest and up to date flash on ubuntu...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Chrome comes with pepperflash (the one you get from their website) so that's an easy way to always have the latest and up to date flash on ubuntu...
    If you remember to upgrade Chrome. I know people who never run updates even when the update manager popup is staring at them, and then they complain that things don't work anymore.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    Pepper flash doesn't work with firefox
    There are hacks around that, like FreshPlayerPlugin or Pipelight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12