Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253

Thread: Ubuntu 15.04 testing

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 15.04 testing

A couple of days ago I installed Ubuntu MATE 16.04 on my new Power Mac G5 7,3, 8 GiB RAM, Radeon 9650 mac edition, 500 GB SATA harddisc. The system is running fine so far but it feels 'sluggish' somehow. Which means keypresses and mouse gestures get swallowed randomly. And I still have to get the sound working. But apart from that no problems so far. Oh, and the "no 3d accelleration on 24bit screens with R300 hardware" is still here, so I am running xorg on a 16bit screen.

Beans

ubuntu MATE 15.10 PowerPC works fantastic in a chroot. Further information about ubuntu MATE in a chroot: forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Domingo Tibi Ensano
    Hi! This is my first time with Ubuntu MATE. I just installed version 15.10 to replace my Xubuntu 14.04. A few tweaking to my personal preferences,and.... IT'S SO AWESOME!!! Thank you Ubuntu MATE team.
    It's like going back to the old Ubuntu Karmic Koala that introduced me to the world of Linux... brings back a lot of memories. It's so nostalgic. For me, this is the desktop of the real original Ubuntu. No offense to the present day Unity team. Again thank you so much, Ubuntu MATE team. More power to you.

Beans

Hi All,

There is the latest kernel 4.4 available for the Power Mac G5. Very impressive!

Cheers,

Christian

On 14 January 2016 at 09:42 AM, Peter Saisanas wrote:
    > Hi Logan,
    > The kernel version is quite old (3.16.7). Perhaps you can try something newer. Nouveau continually has improvements practically with each newer kernel version.
    >
    > Perhaps something to consider, try the easy way out and use a pre-compiled kernel deb package that i have available. I have kernels as new as 4.4.0 available suitable for Powermac G5's.
    > At least these could perhaps be a better baseline as these kernels are known to be working for many Powermac G5's (AGP & PCIe GPU's along with a few generations of nVidia GPU's (some even older than yours). Makes it easier to have a side by side comparison.
    > Your call, link is below if interested.
    >
    > https://drive.google.com/folderview?...&usp=drive_web
    >
    > Many have used them successfully in the past and have got their G5 Powermacs running with nouveau.
    >
    > I'm not so sure that MSI interrupts are ever enabled on AGP GPU's in the first place (PCIe based GPU's are a different story).
    > It would be interesting to see your cat /proc/interrupts log as well.
    >
    > Regarding your EDID issue, can you try the other DVI connector of your video card or cable or alternatively try another display out if the issue still persists.
    >
    > Most Apple OEM ATI Radeon GPU's have their own issues as well. But that's another story.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Peter

Beans

Christian , with my 4.3 rc5
    amdgpu x11 and your 10.0.4 patch i have now 360fps on darkplace , before was 157fps
    gpu radeonhd 4650

now im finding the way for have 4.4.x working without issues

Kernel 4.4 stable optimized for G5 Quads with RadeonHD . The nuoveau module is not compiled for not have issue with RadeonHD (drm-kms-helper)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqw6nhr6px....4.tar.gz?dl=0

Kernel 4.5-rc1 For Quad G5 with RadeonHD ... tested and working

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzyi39dr3i...c1.tar.gz?dl=0

Good News today i have OSX Panther working running on my Quad G5 with Mol-Kvm
    Last edited by howefield; January 26th, 2016 at 10:51 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by luigiburdo View Post
    Kernel 4.5-rc1 For Quad G5 with RadeonHD ... tested and working

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzyi39dr3i...c1.tar.gz?dl=0

Good News today i have OSX Panther working running on my Quad G5 with Mol-Kvm
    Excellent work!!!! Please post a screenshot of ubuntu MATE with Mac OSX Panther.

Beans

Tomorrow i will make the shots and share
    will try to install Os9 and will check leopard

Beans

Schermata-1.jpg

Here is Christian

Beans

I've successfully installed Ubuntu 15.10 on my HP Mini 110-1197TU with everything (and I mean) everything working straight away upon installation completion.

The only issue I have is in trying to get my favourite application working (MindJet Mind Manager 2012 Professional).

But, I found FreePlane, installed it and love it .. so moved across to Ubuntu 100% now and loving it!

Beans

Whoops ...just realised this is a thread for 15.04 ... ah well.

Beans

The latest Firefox 44.0.1 and the ubuntu MATE Welcome screen on Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS PowerPC??????

Yes, it is possible. Firefox and the Welcome screen runs in a ubuntu MATE 15.10 PowerPC chroot.

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253