Thread: Official press release about BQ Ubuntu phone

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Official press release about BQ Ubuntu phone

Last edited by grahammechanical; February 6th, 2015 at 04:45 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Beans

Finally, the Ubuntu phone!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Official press release about BQ Ubuntu phone

Merged a similar thread from Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Official BQ Ubuntu page. From this page application can be made to buy a Ubuntu phone in the first flash sale

http://www.bq.com/gb/ubuntu.html

https://twitter.com/bqreaders/status/565103999666647040
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

New flash sale batch today at 3pm CET (since the first batch was already sold out in less than 1.5 hours):
    http://ubuntu.bq.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I am glad somebody is buying. It gives encouragement to BQ to keep manufacturing the Ubuntu phone. I do not use a mobile phone. So, I am not in the market for one but I would be tempted by a Ubuntu tablet. But this is what I really want. It will get me buying a Ubuntu phone.

Regarding to the future, what are the future plans for Ubuntu Phone in the next two years?

In the next two years, if we fast forward to the end of that timeline is the dream of convergence. You know a phone that does all the things which we talk about today that changes the way users interact with their phones. But that also becomes the heart of all your personal computing devices. So back to what we hinted in the Ubuntu Edge campaign where your phone becomes to your pc, when you dock it.

So you are planning around two years to have an Ubuntu Edge like phone with all the features which were announced back then?

Well hopefully we will be faster than two years, but two years ahead I want that phone which is also my pc in the market.
    https://svij.org/blog/2015/02/11/cri...-future-plans/

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; February 11th, 2015 at 02:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I am glad somebody is buying. It gives encouragement to BQ to keep manufacturing the Ubuntu phone. I do not use a mobile phone.
    Regards.
    How do you manage to survive without a mobile phone?

Back to the topic, the specs of the phone show that the screen resolution is qHD 540 X 960 - 240 ppi (HDPI), is it a good resolution? And also 8 GB of storage (5.5 GB available storage) seems to be too small, and the battery is 2150mAh which will not give good battery life. But I guess you cannot expect too much for a price tag of €169.90.
    --
    I am:
    .NET web developer || WordPress and Drupal lover || eCommerce web site developer || Ph.D student using Ubuntu for research || Occasional blogger

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin360 View Post
    Back to the topic, the specs of the phone show that the screen resolution is qHD 540 X 960 - 240 ppi (HDPI), is it a good resolution?
    I had hoped it would have a better resolution as well (for example 720x1280). This is about the only letdown for me, along with the absence of 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin360 View Post
    And also 8 GB of storage (5.5 GB available storage) seems to be too small, and the battery is 2150mAh which will not give good battery life.
    8GB internal storage is more than enough, as you can add storage with a microSD card.
    The battery seems to be good enough for a device with this screen size and resolution. Comparison: the Moto G has a 2070mAh battery and has a decent battery life.