Thread: Moved /home to another partition can't find/delete /old_home

Beans

Moved /home to another partition can't find/delete /old_home

I just upgraded from an old mint to Trusty Tahr. I moved my /home to a separate partition using the ubuntu wiki instructions.

/sda4 is a newly created partition /sda5 is where 14.04 sits now.

I had some problems with rsync and had to try several times. Instead of overwriting I think it duplicated my /home. My current /home is 15GB and fstab points it to /sda4. From gparted it looks like 120GB are being used on sda4 when it should only be 15 GB or at most 45GB (I had to retry rsync 3 times).

In /media there is a locked empty /home and a locked /myusername with the Windows partitions (sda1 and sda3)

Is there anyway to browse by /sda# or uuid?

fstab:
    Code:
    # / was on /dev/sda5 during installationUUID=a2b23579-2b86-459f-822f-b8c540a3087a /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
    UUID=ef58263e-bb4b-4ea7-84ee-39cab92cb378 none            swap    sw              0       0

# (identifier)  (sda4)   (format, eg ext3 or ext4)      (some settings) 
    UUID=eb5083e2-d0ec-4b86-96b7-a03eb1ae94e2  /home    ext4          defaults       0       2

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Moved /home to another partition can't find/delete /old_home

If you followed that guide /old_home will be a directory on sda5. All contents of sda4 will be visible in /home. The only thing I can imagine that may have gone wrong is that maybe you didn't correctly rename your old /home directory, instead mounting the new /home partition on top of it. That's easy to fix from recovery mode or a live disk, when the /home partition is not mounted.

The empty /media/home is a remnant of the move procedure. It can be deleted.