Thread: /etc/profile : bad variable name

Beans

/etc/profile : bad variable name

yo all. I`m having problems that i can`t log in to desktop... every time when I trying to log in my acc it always screen goes black and refresh`s back to login screen ... So I checked what`s happening it in on terminal, logged in with my acc and i wrote "cat ~/.xsession-errors" and i got that text : /usr/sbin/lightdm-session :32: export/etc/profile : bad variable name." I know that I must edit something, but which file and edit to what?

I`m new on ubuntu just one week

Beans

Re: /etc/profile : bad variable name

up

Beans

You probably need to edit the /usr/sbin/lightdm-session file (which is a script file, not a binary executable)

I probably don't have exactly the same file as you (what version of Ubuntu are you running?) but I imagine the section in question should look something like this:

Code:
    # Load profile
    for file in "/etc/profile" "$HOME/.profile" "/etc/xprofile" "$HOME/.xprofile"; do
        if [ -f "$file" ]; then
            echo "Loading profile from $file";
            . "$file"
        fi
    done

Beans

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04. Ok I'll try it, hope it helps

edit:

Hmmmmm... that code doesn't work for me... Firstly Gedit doesn't open file's anymore, so I'am forced to do sudo apt-get upgrade to fix everything, and guess what happened Now i was able to login to my account, but still that error show's up, so I used your code to edit via terminal which is working, and everything became back still can't login to my desktop, and on tty3 doesn't work gedit...

Seems I'm having huge problem
    Last edited by benas3; February 27th, 2015 at 08:52 PM.