Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dynamic IP DNS Service?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Dynamic IP DNS Service?

Hi d4m1r.

I frequently do 'family support' to my brother's machines. I set him up for free with noip.com. He using the ddclient on an Ubuntu Server 12.04.

I believe no-ip have their own Linux client, but so far ddclient have worked just fine.

Hope it helps.
    Regards.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm fairly certain that no-ip is one of the main supported DynDNS options in most home routers too.

My company pays no-ip for DNS service - but these are for domains we own. You don't need to own any domain, just use one of the free subdomains they offer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For anybody else wondering....Many free DNS services available out there that support the ddclient.

I first checked out the built in option in my Dlink router (called DlinkDDNS), but it was actually based on DynDNS which as we know, stopped offering free services and now, Dlink users only get a 6 month trial.

Namecheap does offer free DNS and supports the ddclient BUT I did not purchase my domain from them nor is my domain hosted on their DNS servers so I would have to transfer at least 1 domain to them and I don't want to them.

Why? Because like many people, I already using CloudFlare for the many positive features they provide. Cloudflare supports the linux ddclient so all I had to do was to creating a subdomain from 1 of my domains hosted with them (free account), A record to my server, install ddclient on my linux server, and then configured it per their instructions, and it connected to their service perfectly fine and now my linux server will constantly/automatically update that A record itself if the external IP changes!

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    I frequently do 'family support' to my brother's machines. I set him up for free with noip.com. He using the ddclient on an Ubuntu Server 12.04.

I believe no-ip have their own Linux client, but so far ddclient have worked just fine.
    They do have their own client and I actually have used them in the past (because they offer free subdomains, so don't need to host a real domain with them) BUT you have to re-activate the service every 30 days with them and I didn't like that....With Cloudflare, you don't have to do that and I have real domains hosted with them and am already using their services so no need for additional accounts
    Last edited by d4m1r; February 7th, 2015 at 11:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12