Thread: Accessing ext4 timestamps from extended attributes?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Accessing ext4 timestamps from extended attributes?

As is fairly common knowledge by now, ext4 has a 'crtime' timestamp that provides the Creation (or Birth) Time of a file, and that this information is not exposed to stat because of continuing back-and-forth in the Linux kernel development process. It is possible to pull the information out of the file's inode with debugfs and parse it, though, and I did that manually for a while. Then I actually found a script that automated the process, but its output was a bit too basic. So I modified it to re-insert the information back into the normal readout from stat.

But since it still requires debugfs to get the information from the inode, it still depends on having root privileges. Having to use sudo on a stat call is a bit jarring/annoying.

In messing around with an NTFS recovery problem a week or so ago, I discovered that NTFS-3G exposes the timestamp info in the extended attributes. Because it does this, I could use regular user privileges to get the info, making the experience pretty much seamless.

My question is whether ext4's timestamps are also accessible through the extended attributes so that I wouldn't have to use debugfs anymore. A more general question is 'how do I know what extended attributes a filesystem exposes?' Is there a system call or something that lists them, or is it a matter of trying to dig through online kernel documentation to maybe, possibly, hope to glean the list of xattrs from a ton of other implementation details?
    Last edited by qyot27; February 6th, 2015 at 01:06 AM.