Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 14.04 & Nvidia GTX 960

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 & Nvidia GTX 960

Thanks very much Jempa! You helped me a lot!

Cheers,
    Matthias

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thumbs up Re: Ubuntu 14.04 & Nvidia GTX 960

Thank you so much for this post. Getting the 960 to work was getting tough, especially when Ctrl-Alt-F1 was lost.

I'm running a 4k display on Mint17 with the gtx960.

Beans

Perfect solution. Thanks. I think you have a typo . "blacklist lbm-nouveua" is rather "blacklist lbm-nouveau"

Beans

Thank you so much.

Worked great in 14.04.2 with a GTX970 and 346.47.

Cory

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jempa333 View Post
    in terminal write
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get install build-essential && sudo apt-get install linux-source && sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic....
    Where you open terminal? If I try to install ubuntu I get black screen. Adding nomodeset on boot settings helps to pass black screen. After installation reboot I got stuck on black screen again but if I press shift on reboot I can get to grub menu. So again, where and how you open terminal? CTRL + ALT + F1 doesn't work.

Beans

works perfect on 14.10 fresh install on gtx 960....grattitude for great post!

Beans

after upgrade to 15.04 I had all kinds of problems with the NVIDIA driver update.
    first issue: stopping lightdm no longer kills x on my install
    I had to perform the installation from a root terminal which was recommended by NVIDIA installation instructions.
    Get to root terminal: reboot, hit [ESC] during boot, select [recovery] mode from grub menu, enter root shell
    NVIDIA*.run said it could not access the /tmp folder. I then had to remount the filesystem with

sudo mount -a

second issue: the NVIDIA*.run file kept saying there is an error in initializing
    turns out there was a script at /usr/lib/nvidia/pre-install
    the content is this

#!/bin/sh

# Trigger an error exit status to prevent the installer from overwriting
    # Ubuntu's nvidia packages.

exit 1
    changing the 1 to 0 enabled the nvidia install script to run

third issue: the installer didn't like the new kernel but I was able to recompile it with the new kernel
    ./NVIDIA*.run --add-this-kernel
    which output a different script NVIDIA*-custom.run which was successful
    This was a big help but I want to post my additional steps here for others who are having trouble.
    Last edited by zkneebone; April 25th, 2015 at 04:29 PM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi there,

I've ordered a Gtx960 and will do a fresh 14.04 LTS after mounting it (I'm currently 12.04 LTS with an ATI 4890 HD).
    When/how shall I enter those commands, since I presume the screen will go black after rebooting, i.e. finishing the installation process?

One more thing: The procedure to have steam running on ubuntu 12.04 LTS was a little cumbersome. I had to install first the open video driver, then steam, and then install the proprietary one, otherwise I would get errors. Is this the same with the nvidia proprietary driver, steam and 14.04 LTS?
    ===
    “Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability.”
    (Edsger Wybe Dijkstra)

Beans

Thanks Jempa333 for this extremely useful post. Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 WindForce OC 4GB successfully set up with multiple monitors on Ubuntu Studio 14.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jempa333 View Post
    I have Ubuntu 14.04 64bit and NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960 that caused me a lot of problems to install. Hopefully this can help somebody:

in terminal write
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get install build-essential && sudo apt-get install linux-source && sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub #change line "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT..."-line to
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nouveau.blacklist=1 quiet splash nomodeset" #(forces low-level graphics to ensure putty does not give black screen)
    sudo update-grub2
    sudo apt-get remove nvidia* && sudo apt-get autoremove #ensures no former installation clashes with new install
    sudo reboot

After reboot get correct nvidia-driver (chose graphic-card and OS) at “http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us" (or search webb with “nvidia download”). Right-click on downloaded file and change if to executable.
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf #add these lines at the end:
    blacklist vga16fb

blacklist nouveau
    blacklist rivafb
    blacklist nvidiafb
    blacklist rivatv
    blacklist lbm-nouveua
    options nouveau modeset=0
    alias nouveau off
    alias lbm-nouveau off

Open a putty-terminal with Ctrl + Alt + F1
    sudo service lightdm stop #stops graphic session to enable nvidiainstallation
    cd Downloads #(or wherever you downloaded your nvidia-file)
    sudo ./{the downloadedfilename.run} #follow installation-instructions (normally yes to all)sudo nvidia-xconfig #(if you did not chose “yes” to this in the installation”
    sudo nano /etc/default/grub # change the "GRUB_CMBLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT..."-line to below:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset”
    sudo update-grub2 #update grub!
    sudo reboot

hopefully it works for you now as it did for me...
    Thanks you so much! Works well with my gtx 960.
    Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz (3.4Ghz Turbo), 64bit user, AMD GPU 7700 series

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast