Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 14.04 & Nvidia GTX 960

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 & Nvidia GTX 960

Ok, but I did install the nvidia drivers via the website since when I tried to use the xorg-edgers PPA, this resulted in my system black-screen'ing after rebooting.

It sounds like your suggestion is to re-install and then use the graphics-drivers ppa?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I think first step to get your desktop back is to purge the nvidia driver you have installed.
    About what driver to install i don't know exactly i suggest you to get help with this from someone more experienced than me. I just happen to get the black screen the same as you, and by completely remove the nvidia driver i got my desktop back.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jempa333 View Post
    After reboot get correct nvidia-driver (chose graphic-card and OS) at “http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us" (or search webb with “nvidia download”). Right-click on downloaded file and change if to executable.
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf #add these lines at the end:
    blacklist vga16fb

blacklist nouveau
    blacklist rivafb
    blacklist nvidiafb
    blacklist rivatv
    blacklist lbm-nouveua
    options nouveau modeset=0
    alias nouveau off
    alias lbm-nouveau off

Open a putty-terminal with Ctrl + Alt + F1
    sudo service lightdm stop #stops graphic session to enable nvidiainstallation
    cd Downloads #(or wherever you downloaded your nvidia-file)
    sudo ./{the downloadedfilename.run} #follow installation-instructions (normally yes to all)sudo nvidia-xconfig #(if you did not chose “yes” to this in the installation”
    sudo nano /etc/default/grub # change the "GRUB_CMBLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT..."-line to below:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset”
    sudo update-grub2 #update grub!
    sudo reboot

Sorry but I'm new and still learning linux. I recently bought a 950 and have been battling all day everday for the past week to get the driver to work. At one point I did, but then was locked with a 800x600 resolution, so I reinstalled ubuntu and started over for the millionth time lol.

Ok so I got to the part of changing the file to an excutable and don't understand the rest. Do I go ahead and run the nvidia installer? Or do I just open terminal and enter sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf? And how do I #add these lines at the end? I'm also not sure what a putty-terminal is compared to the regular terminal.

Sorry again for all the questions. Any help would be soooo greatly appreciated.

Beans

I was able to fix the problem I mentioned farther up by trying to boot into recovery mode (i.e., hold shift during startup) and then the bios let me boot with the old kernel as one of the 'advanced options' shown by grub for ubuntu.

Everything looked fine with the 352 drivers once I was booting with the old kernel again.

Since I don't want to have to boot into an old kernel every time, I ran the 352 binary install again with the --uninstall option to get rid of that driver and then installed the 'nvidia-346' package through synaptic's main menu. (i.e., didn't use any PPA's / the additional driver tab of synaptic)

It's booting fine now & the nvidia-settings gui is showing that it's using the 346.96 driver.

I'm not sure why this worked when the PPA's had blown up my system in the past, but it appears to be working, so fingers crossed. I'm using the 32-bit version of 14.04 since the 64-bit nvidia drivers weren't working with steam, so that may be it...

Hope that someone out there finds this useful.

Beans

very thank you. I just install my gtx 750 driver with your tutorial and it works great.

Beans

tried everything still doesn't work

Beans

it doesn't find my file

Beans

I've followed the guide at the start of this thread and another one which sounds like the same problem as me here... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2289167

However I still have issues...

I've installed a new GTX960 into my TS140 running Ubuntu 14.04 and ive got issues booting up from a video perspective. The machine boots up as i can still use putty into the terminal but I get some weird visuals.

Firstly it doesn't beep on post?.... then when the lenovo splashscreen shows up its surrounded by white lines.

As it moves onto the Ubuntu boot screen loads of fuzzy white lines gltch and then eventually it freezes with the boot process listed in the background. On occasion it loads with flashing colours but it hasn't done that in a while.

Weirdly I can boot up onto the live CD and get to the desktop but theres a lot of white line glitching.

Does this sound like an ubuntu problem or is it possibly to do with power... I've got a 450w psu which is more than the recommended 400w

Beans

The exact recipe in the first post didn't work for me exactly, but I finally got it working. An included bonus is that I could do it with the driver in the package manager, thus without the manual install from the ".run"-file.
    This is what I did:

* Connect a monitor to the DVI-port.
    * Fresh install of Ubuntu 15.10
    * Set boot option "nomodeset" using the program boot-repair.
    * Set blacklist.conf according to the first post. This included fixing the typo "nouveua".

blacklist vga16fb
    blacklist nouveau
    blacklist rivafb
    blacklist nvidiafb
    blacklist rivatv
    blacklist lbm-nouveau
    options nouveau modeset=0
    alias nouveau off
    alias lbm-nouveau off

* Switch to non-graphical terminal: ctrl+alt+F1
    * Kill GUI: sudo service lightdm stop
    * sudo apt-get install nvidia-352
    * nvidia-xconfig
    * Start GUI again: sudo service lightdm start

And then it worked!

I think having the monitor connected to the DVI-port while installing the driver is important. My previous attempts used the DP-port while installing the driver. Switching to DVI after driver install did not help.
    I connected two additional monitors to DP-ports, and my desktop was extended flawlessly. So it's not that DP doesn't work, but it may be a requirement of at least one DVI monitor to get it set up correctly.

Beans

Works!

I'm gonna create a small script throw it on github to automate this for the noobs.

I had to install and do the first bit with onboard video, then switch to my gtx960 after the first chunk was accomplished.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast