Thread: 4 to 6 screens with ATI FirePro W600 works?

Beans

Question 4 to 6 screens with ATI FirePro W600 works?

Hello,
    I came from Windows world to Ubuntu one (and globally speaking Linux one), and so far I just enjoy it from A to Z. Only problem : on my desktop, under Windows, I got one Nvidia Quadro4000 and Nvidia GeForce 610 : 4 fully-working screens.
    After hours of searching, I just crashed on the fact that :
    • Multi-screens under Ubuntu (Linux?) is quite a pain in the ass...
    • Nvidia is definitely not the graphics brand to choose on Linux (no will to share specs for making OS drivers)
    • The only multi-screens multi-cards conf that worked was with 2 same cards.

As I really need my 4 screens back and I don't want to let Ubuntu go, I looked around ATI stuff and discover this product : it allows up to 6 screens from the same card... My questions :
    • Is this will be working under Ubuntu 14.04 flawlessly?
    • Do you haver any feedback about this card?
      • In case of yes, would you advice it?

• Regarding to my 4 screens needs, would you advice me something else?

Many thanks for your answers,

Cheers,

Nicolas

Beans

Re: 4 to 6 screens with ATI FirePro W600 works?

The FirePro W600 is a product designed for 2D graphics like video walls, airport or train station style information displays, digital marketing displays, that kind of stuff which doesn't need 3D acceleration. It's probably not a good choice for a desktop machine. It should work fine under Linux but I don't have the card in hands to know for sure. In general the AMD proprietary drivers are pretty good and work fine with dual monitors for me with a Radeon HD 6970. I have very little experience with the open source driver.

The gaming cards from AMD in the R7 and R9 series support multiple monitors. Up to six with the R9 series cards with DP hubs but they have four physical outputs (all can be used concurrently). If you don't need features of the FirePro cards like ECC memory and certified drivers for professional applications then I'd probably just get a gaming card.