Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to do with computers/components that aren't really worth anything?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What to do with computers/components that aren't really worth anything?

1- Compaq 2000, XP & Office (for my wife to use as a word processor) - no internet
    2- Compaq 2000, Lubuntu (banking)
    3- Toshiba Duo Core, XP, for archiving, and my Canon scanner , no internet - all sensitive informations are kept here

For hackers that (if) succesfully hack into my main desktop, surprise, surprise... nothing of valuable for them there.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Alex Eagle, I have repeatedly jailed your off-topic posts. Please stop posting more of that kind.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Walsh View Post
    A BIG +1!!

Couldn't agree more. I'm not a 'green' fanatic by any means, but the rate at which we, as a species, are throwing away newer & newer stuff is becoming ALARMING...

And in my humble opinion, stuff made 20 years ago will out-last stuff being made today. Ever heard of 'in-built obsolescence'? It seems to be a major subject being factored into manufacturer's marketing strategies nowadays...to shift more & more new stuff, faster & faster.

Does make you wonder where it will all end.

Regards,

Mike.
    True about in built obsolescence but if i had to rely on a computer from 20 years ago as my only computer I would go insane. Heck a family member offered me this one for free today and I don't even want it for that price.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

in the us i know best buy offers free recycling for old computers/monitors
    i dropped a couple of old tvs and monitors off (all tube based)
    only one of the monitors worked and the picture was horrible

i think that hp will run dsl
    or you can gut it and load it with raspberry pi(s)
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; February 2nd, 2015 at 01:48 PM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    True about in built obsolescence but if i had to rely on a computer from 20 years ago as my only computer I would go insane. Heck a family member offered me this one for free today and I don't even want it for that price.
    I have one very similar to that. I upgraded the RAM to 512, installed MX14 (midweight Debian distro), an Ebay PCI video card,USB 2 card and ethernet. I have about $20 in it. I use it as a bittorrent server for a handful of linux distros. It will work for web browsing (no flash) and basic office tasks but it's .....'stately'

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I have one very similar to that. I upgraded the RAM to 512, installed MX14 (midweight Debian distro), an Ebay PCI video card,USB 2 card and ethernet. I have about $20 in it. I use it as a bittorrent server for a handful of linux distros. It will work for web browsing (no flash) and basic office tasks but it's .....'stately'
    I already had a netbook lying around for that purpose running 24/7 for months on end just fine.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Sorry morgaes, I don't even remember what I put! I don't remember you constantly jailing off-topic posts of mine either. In fact, I think I stay on-topic if I'm honest. Don't recall having gone off topic for quite some time now.

Anyways, to everybody on this thread; has anybody even answered the title question yet? I can't find a post that addresses what you can actually do with compontents that aren't worth owt.

In my opinion the whole thread is now off topic. The only good topic-addressing post is post #20. But even that is off-topic in part.

You want off topic? Join physics.stackexchange.com and get ready to have your every other word cut out of what you post.

Beans

Depending on how recent your parts are, there may be folks willing to buy them. But, instead of heading to Craigslist or eBay, the first place we'd check is a hardware-based forum with a dedicated selling section, like Hard Forum the Overclock[dot]net or Reddit's . You'll want to be careful you don't get screwed, since there isn't a big organization behind the sale, but a lot of people have had good luck selling, swapping, and buying parts on forums like this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

As above. Another alternative. There is also a Market section on these forums. Not sure how much action it sees, but the first post will go to the top of the New Posts list, so worth a try.

Beans

Recycle at local Bestbuy/Staples (or may be Goodwill) stores. They accept broken devices.
    You can search for places to recycle at http://1800recycling.com
    Be sure not to throw away in your trash bin.
    Read your state laws. http://1800recycling.com/state-guidelines
    I had old working desktop and laptops, but I recycled them because I ended up using my faster laptop.
    I'm not a tester, so installing Ubuntu without actually using it is a waste of elecriticity and bandwidth.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123