Thread: File Permission of /dev/usb/lp2 - a file vanished?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

File Permission of /dev/usb/lp2 - a file vanished?

I tried to find a way to see ink levels of my ink-jet printer and noodling around the 'net saw a Linux command line app: "ink" I installed it and tried the command line to see the levels of ink remaining. FAIL.

But the weblog from which I got this info, had the file permissions of /dev/usb/lp2 (lp2 is my Brother MFC-240C printer) changed to 666.

What are the default file permission for USB printer-scanner-fax devices? Are they by the device's ROM or by the OS?

And when I used "gksudo nautilus" to look at that file, it doesn't exist. Nautilus shows only hiddev0 and hiddev1. Using CTRL-h does not show more files. From the command line, using "locate" and searching for "lp2" shows no such named file.

The Brother's ability to scan and print are unaffected. I don't want to leave files vulnerable to malware or other intrusion.

On my own, I found some more info. This is added on 27-Jan-15.

Code:
    mark@Lexington:~$ ls -l /dev/usb/lp* /dev/bus/usb/*/*

crw-rw----+ 1 root lp   180,   2 Jan 27 10:40 /dev/usb/lp2
    Which I found at: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingPrintingProblems and that page says that the permission should be "crw-rw-r--" so mine is missing an -r. How do I change that one? Is it necessary?
    Last edited by Mark_in_Hollywood; January 27th, 2015 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added add'l info
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw