Thread: Confused by the hosting choices out there. What can I get for $20 to $30 a month.

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile Confused by the hosting choices out there. What can I get for $20 to $30 a month.

Not sure where to post this.

I have my domain name bought. Overwhelmed by the hosting choices out there. I have a sub domain of http://blog.domain.tld and photo.domain.tld. The photo one requires at least the ability to serve 5 people at once and 10 to 25 GB of space and would use http://www.zenphoto.org/. The blog should be able to serve 5 people at once and is text mostly aside from the occasional photo and runs on WordPress, for blog 2 GB or so should be plenty I think.

So can I get what I want for $20 to $30 a month. I don't like shared hosting because I tried that and Go daddy could never serve up the web sites properly, it cost $7 a month at Go daddy. I don't have a job now, but I hope to get one in February hopefully and maybe I could do $50 a month, but I would still prefer $30 or less a month.

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Confused by the hosting choices out there. What can I get for $20 to $30 a month

This isn't really an ubuntu question... you may want to try other web-hosting forums to get a good answer by people that frequently look for and use web hosting services. But to not leave you hanging, I'd say you should try Amazon, mostly because they're the biggest cat around (global hosting), they offer the widest variety of packages, and their prices seem reasonable. So if you need to scale big in the future, you can do so easily by purchasing a bigger package. However, I'm sure others may have other suggestions for you... either driven by their own awareness of better offers out there, or by their ideological views on sticking to smaller companies, or companies that support open-source projects. Either way, you should do some soul searching about what your highest priorities are (to save money, to have scalability options, to support open-source software, to support the little guys (i.e., not Amazon, etc.), and use that to guide your search.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Confused by the hosting choices out there. What can I get for $20 to $30 a month

Greetings,
    I have been using 123ehost.com since back in the nineties. It cost me $50 per year. I think they now have one about 10 dollars cheaper.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

you get plenty for that,

i use hostko, but there are many similar out there. the plan i have is unlimited tranfer yet i can add mroe domains and websties. all together 10 GB space. and it's abotu 60 EUR i htink. but there are similar liek bluehost and such. depends where you are located.

also sometimes smaller hosts are better if they are good. they respodn faster to clients demands.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

If you want to have full control over your server and sites, I suggest renting a virtual machine from a provider like Linode. Their plans start at $10/month.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

If your a technical user (someone who needs advanced access to their hosting) then https://www.tigertech.net/ is a very good hosting company in California. They have the very best technical support that I have seen.

Beans

I've been very well satisfied with the service provided by Simple Online Solutions (http://www.simpleurl.com/).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to The Cafe.

Better here as not a Ubuntu and OS chat.

I have used Flexihosting for six or seven years now. No complaints. Great support and my sites been down (briefly) maybe twice over that period. I have shared hosting, but they do have other options available.

PS: If you are overwhelmed by the amount of hosting choices out there, you may be just as overwhelmed by the amount of hosting choices people suggest in here!
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 28th, 2015 at 03:42 PM.

Beans

back when i was looking, i found TSO hosting to be quite reasonable in quality and cost for a small project. i don't know alot about hosting, so i can't say too much about it, though
    Last edited by fkkroundabout; January 31st, 2015 at 11:09 AM.

Beans

I used to use Deamhost for school it was around $15.00 if i remember right...ahh good old apache

forgot about the domain name though...

maybe like $30 after all said and done..a good service though, ended up building a server with ubuntu funny enough but obviously for school you can get away with just having an IP address.
    Last edited by michael256; February 3rd, 2015 at 10:02 AM.