Thread: Ubuntu 14.04 KVM VGA Passthrough.....SO CLOSE! Need help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Ubuntu 14.04 KVM VGA Passthrough.....SO CLOSE! Need help.

Hi everyone,

I'm doing this. I've been at it for a week now. I started off with CentOS7 and got zero response on their forums, so I switched over to Ubuntu and got miles closer to passing this card. This is my first post here about my setup.

Windows 7 starts up on the monitor attached to the Nvidia card. I've installed the nvidia driver and I get poor resolution and a code 43. I also have to restart the host if Windows restarts because the monitor won't come back on. I used "GPU-Z" to dump the rom file and have included it in my startup script, but I still have to restart the host.

I've messaged a few people on youtube about their setups. They said I needed the ACS and i915 patches. The only place I could find those patches are at https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/5/30/513 and https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/5/9/517. I downloaded them, but they are text files. In short....I have no clue how to use these patches. I've compiled kernels before with something like the Realtime kernel patch, which was a .gz file. So I need to know the proper procedure for patching a kernel with the patches from those links.

Hardware Stuffs:

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX rev2
    AMD FX8350
    ATI Radeon HD 6450 (Host's Card)
    EVGA 560 Ti (Windows 7 guest's card)

Software Stuffs:
    Ubuntu 14.04 (3.16.0-29-generic-lts-utopic) no patches applied. Standard 14.04 repo KVM installed and all that good stuff.

Grub:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash amd_iommu=on vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 pcie_acs_override=downstream i915.enable_hd_vgaarb=1"
    lspci:
    Code:
    ben@KVM-Host:~$ lspci | grep NVIDIA
    07:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF114 [GeForce GTX 560 Ti] (rev a1)
    07:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF114 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)
    Stubs:
    Code:
    ben@KVM-Host:~$ dmesg | grep pci-stub
    [    1.878000] pci-stub: add 10DE:1200 sub=FFFFFFFF:FFFFFFFF cls=00000000/00000000
    [    1.878015] pci-stub 0000:07:00.0: claimed by stub
    [    1.878020] pci-stub: add 10DE:0E0C sub=FFFFFFFF:FFFFFFFF cls=00000000/00000000
    [    1.878027] pci-stub 0000:07:00.1: claimed by stub
    vfio-pci1.cfg
    Code:
    0000:07:00.0
    0000:07:00.1

Guest's startup script:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

configfile=/etc/vfio-pci1.cfg

vfiobind() {
        dev="$1"
            vendor=$(cat /sys/bus/pci/devices/$dev/vendor)
            device=$(cat /sys/bus/pci/devices/$dev/device)
            if [ -e /sys/bus/pci/devices/$dev/driver ]; then
                    echo $dev > /sys/bus/pci/devices/$dev/driver/unbind
            fi
            echo $vendor $device > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/new_id

}

modprobe vfio-pci

cat $configfile | while read line;do
        echo $line | grep ^# >/dev/null 2>&1 && continue
            vfiobind $line
    done

sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -M q35 -m 4096 -cpu host \
    -smp 4,sockets=1,cores=4,threads=1 \
    -bios /usr/share/qemu/bios.bin -vga none \
    -device ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=1,chassis=1,id=root.1 \
    -device vfio-pci,host=07:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on,romfile=/home/ben/Downloads/GF114.rom \
    -device vfio-pci,host=07:00.1,bus=root.1,addr=00.1 \
    -drive file=/home/ben/KVM-Images/Windows.img,id=disk,format=raw -device ide-hd,bus=ide.0,drive=disk \
    #-drive file=/home/ben/Downloads/windows.iso,id=isocd -device ide-cd,bus=ide.1,drive=isocd \
    -usb -usbdevice host:06a3:8021 -usbdevice host:0461:4d03 \
    -boot menu=on

exit 0

Please, if anyone knows how to patch the kernel with these patches, or can see an error in my script please OH PLEASE help me out.

Thanks.
    Last edited by pepsifx357; January 24th, 2015 at 02:50 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 KVM VGA Passthrough.....SO CLOSE! Need help.

CentOS is mainly used by server administrators - it isn't surprising to me that nobody replied about GUI stuff over there.

Beans
    Distro

My thought process about using CentOS was that it's basically Redhat and Redhat actively develops KVM, so I assumed it would be the best bet to get this to work. Needless to say, I was wrong.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, so now I've compiled a 3.18.0 kernel with the acs override patch and the i915 patch, which can be found at this link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...OUk&authuser=0. I see no difference at all. Driver still works the same, still can't restart the guest without having to restart the host. I'm starting to run out of options here.

I GOT IT TO WORK!.....

I'm going to play around with it for a while before I get too excited. Afterwards I'm going to post EVERYTHING I had to do to get this to work, because There are a lot of things that just weren't discussed in most of the forums...like qemu version seabios version ect.

The only thing I still haven't gotten to work is being able to restart the guest without having to restart the host and right now I can only pass 1 core of the processor to the guest, which kinda sucks.

I have proven to myself, however, that you can pass an NVIDIA GTX card. You don't need a Nvidia professional card.

Here's my new thread on how I fixed my problem:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2262280
    Last edited by howefield; January 26th, 2016 at 02:20 PM.