Thread: Encrypted drive via kvm won't boot except recovery mode

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Encrypted drive via kvm won't boot except recovery mode

I have a ubuntu server and I'm trying to install a xubuntu machine with full OS encryption via KVM. When isntalling it seems fine but when I boot up, it won't boot up the OS normally and only boots up the OS once you've gone to recovery mode which is no where near ideal as I need it for a remote desktop and the graphics are disabled.

Has anyone tried to encrypt xubuntu file system before and had this issue? Any feedback is appreciated.

On another note, if I can't get full system encryption I want to encrypt the whole /home folder not just my user. If I select encrypt home drive does this do that or is it only my account? If not is there a way to encrypt every users home folder on each account I create?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Encrypted drive via kvm won't boot except recovery mode

I've been able to fix the issue. It was a graphics card problem on my KVM. I found this article here: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/842

For anyone else in the future here's a quote of it:

Add one of the following '????.modeset=0' parameter at the end of the long grub command line as is (type 1 space before). Use the parameter related to the brand or chipset of your video card . pe.: use nouveau or nvidia for nvidia based cards (proprietary driver, just nv in some linux distributions, nouveau driver is the default in Mint) ), use radeon for amd/ati cards, i915 for intel based motherboards, ,,, These are the most common examples.

1. nvidia.modeset=0
    2. nouveau.modeset=0
    3. radeon.modeset=0
    4. i915.modeset=0
    5. r128.modeset=0 (for very old ati rage 128 cards...)
    6. If you don't know the brand you may use just one word: nomodeset

So: sudo vi /etc/defaults/grub

In the "quiet splash" section so I did "quiet splash nomodeset"

write quit

Then

sudo update-grub2 then reboot it works! Will mark thread as resolved.

Will mark this as resolved