Thread: Brother printer drivers - differences?

Beans

Brother printer drivers - differences?

I've just switched from using a 32bit version of a Ubuntu flavour to the 64bit* one and this means installing a couple of drivers for the new setup.

My printer is a Brother HL2250DN and the drivers are at http://support.brother.com/g/b/downl...n_eu_as&os=128

The ones I've used for ages, and which the 'driver install tool' installs**, are the first two: LPR and CUPSwrapper, both from 2010.

There's also another pair: Generic LPR and Generic CUPSwrapper, both from 2014. The latter leads to brgenml1cupswrapper-3.1.0-1.i386.deb, for example.

What I can't find anywhere is any indication as to what the difference is! Is there any advantage to using the later ones?

* A quick note of gratitude to Debian for how easy that is while retaining data and settings if you have a separate /home partition!

** Including making sure that the 32bit libraries are there, via lib32stdc++ ...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Brother printer drivers - differences?

the model specific stuff that brother offers is best. Usually the brother download site offers only a single installer for any particular model. (except when .deb / .rpm choice must be made manually)

DRIVER INSTALL TOOL offered by brother's download site then detects the right choices for you. usually works nicely.