Thread: How do I change the boot order suitably?

Beans

How do I change the boot order suitably?

I need to install lubuntu in a new laptop using usb flash drive since there is no dvd drive in it. In bios setup l notice the three boot priority options are as follows: UEFI IP4 realtek pcie FE family controller, --do-- with IP6, harddisk. I am not able to understand the meaning of first and second options. Clearly I need to make usb as first priority. How do I do that? Also it is important to note that this laptop already has free DOS so may be the first boot priority is related to that? I need to keep the DOS as it is and install lubuntu so that a dual boot system is got. Please suggest how to change boot priority suitably for this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How do I change the boot order suitably?

Unless someone is familiar with your laptop and you do not say what model it is, it will be difficult to explain what to do as there is great variation in boot systems settings programs.

My machine has a BIOS boot system and I have noticed that I can set the boot priority to the DVD drive but when it comes to a USB memory stick the settings program sees it as an external USB drive. So, I have go to another setting. The one that lets me choose which of the installed hard drives to boot from. I have 2 hard drives and when I put in a USB memory stick I can cycle the setting through the 2 hard drives and the USB stick until I get the one I want at the top. You might need to do something similar.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Re: How do I change the boot order suitably?

I am talking of an ASUS laptop, model number being X200LA-KX034D with core i3 -4010U processor. Hope this will help to make the meaning of first and second boot priority clear.