Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to create launcher app

Beans

How to create launcher app

Hello,

How can I create an application like this:

I have a window with icons, icons like Firefox, Chrome and Rhythmbox. When I click on an icon, like Firefox, an application will launch.
    When I click on the Firefox icon, Firefox will launch. Is this easy to create?

An example: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Cv4sVr1YyX...pture14572.png
    Last edited by stefanschepers48; January 20th, 2015 at 06:43 PM.

Beans

Re: How to create launcher app

that is rox-filer with apps in it. so you copy apps from /usr/share/applications to a folder then launch that folder.
    sudo apt-get install rox-filer
    go into preferences disable the toolbar, add your folder of apps, launch it-> rox /path/to/folder

if you want to remake that it would be nice to know what de/wm your using & ubuntu version. then there could be some other way to do it with what you already have installed.

Beans

I have Xfce installed, with Thunar as file manager. But I like the way it is in Rox, just a window with icons, and not menus and icons at the top of the window. Is that possible with Thunar?

Beans

i don't recall thunar being able to do that. you can use rox in xfce though, rox does many things from panel to desktop icons.
    what xubuntu version?

xfce-panels are top notch. it's funny i had a idea once of using the panel in just that way. because you can pick your rows for the panel and you can move the panel where ever you want. all you would need was a script to start & kill just that panel, but never got around to playing with that idea. only today you made me think about it, do the panels even still allow floating panel?

Beans

Ok, but how can I do that in rox-filer? Because standard you have menu's in rox-filer, and in the example that I posted, there are no menus. I am using Xubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Beans

right click in the rox window, go into preferences, look for the section where you can customize whats on the toolbar, there should be something for no tool bar. then just create your folder you want your apps in, use xfce app browser & drag drop apps into rox, right click on your xfce panel, add launcher, in command just put rox /path/to/folder/folder, remember rox is a file manager so what ever you create in rox will show in thunar, i suggest you create 1 folder & add as many folders as you want in there.

i also think rox comes with a manual you can read on line. you can also do "rox --help" in terminal to see the command switches.
    Last edited by kerry_s; January 20th, 2015 at 09:30 PM.

Beans

i got time let me install rox & ill put some pics up you can follow. give me a sec be back.

Beans

okay pics for you:

you'll also want to read this page.
    http://rox.sourceforge.net/desktop/node/117.html

Beans

Thank you!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stefanschepers48 View Post
    Thank you!
    your welcome!
    you sure it's worth all that just to launch a single app? you know xfce panel has a drawer app where you can stack several launchers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast