Thread: drivers problems AMD A8-6500K, new build

Beans

drivers problems AMD A8-6500K, new build

I'm at new at working with Linux and recently built my first machine with my boys thinking it would be a good experience for them to begin familiarizing themselves with Linux at a younger age than me. It's mostly there to serve two purposes: do homework/research and play Minecraft.

It's that last, Minecraft piece that's causing problems. I cannot seem to get my computer to render the graphics properly, and I get error messages every step along the way. When I run the open drivers, I have no luck. When I use the proprietar driver without updates, the game is playable but looks like an old school 3D movie--with red and blue shifted. It's nearly unplayable. The updates version of the proprietary driver winds up causing error messages in Minecraft, which I can't allevate this until after following the steps on this page: https://mwop.net/blog/2014-11-03-utopic-and-amd.html

This most recent time I tried using the proprietary drivers, I tried launching Catalyst to see if I could change some settings there, but I get an error message that begins with "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly." and goes on to explain I should maybe tinker with the aticonfig or something.

I'm running Ubuntu 14.10 on an A8-5600K with Radeon HD 7560D APU. I'm sure there's a solution that doesn't involve me installing Windows, but I'm getting frustrated and could really use some help. Maybe I'm searching the wrong terms, but I've look across this forum and the web and am not finding what I need.

Beans

Re: drivers problems AMD A8-6500K, new build

That's really not much of a video card, and AMD drivers often cause problems even with Windows. If it were me, I would get a decent Nvidia card. If you do, make sure you have a good power supply for it.
    Ubuntu 16.04 x64, Core i7 4770k, 8Gb RAM, Nvidia Gtx 650, Sandisk Extreme 120 SSD.

https://reddingcomputer.wordpress.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: drivers problems AMD A8-6500K, new build

It's that last, Minecraft piece that's causing problems.
    Is this Minecraft running in native Linux, or is it running in Wine in Linux?
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.