Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ubuntu 15.04 Install

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu 15.04 Install

Persistence is still working with Unetbootin and the Startup Disk Creator (when you select it). I test it now and then, but I don't use it. Instead I use installed systems in USB 3 pendrives when I want 'more than standard live drives'. C.S.Cameron and a few other people were exploring persistence in dual- or multi-boot pendrives recently. See this link

Multiboot flash drive with second partition

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by forcecore View Post
    downloading file failed, retry, change mirror
    The Ubuntu Vivid mini.iso works now. See this link

testing vivid mini.iso

Beans

Cool Re: Ubuntu 15.04 Install

Always try in Virtual machine https://youtu.be/XZKktVYfXqY

Beans

If anyone cares, I used Startup Disk Creator in an installed 14.10 OS (14.04 was upgraded to 14.10 successfully, previously) and created a usb stick with 15.04-beta2 with Ubuntu MATE. It booted up fine. I deleted what was previously on the usb stick and formatted it w/ FAT32. Then I used the Ubuntu program. I don't have a good experience whenever I try to use Unetbootin. I find it unreliable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    No.

I kind of like just using dd for the speed (it takes only a couple of minutes as opposed to the 15 or 20 minutes either usb-creator or unetbootin require) but it doesn't create a persistent USB where changes are saved.

I use SDC from 10.10 and can still make persistent drives with dev isos. I'll try with new SDC in Ubuntu.

It never takes long here... 2 minutes max on ver 2.0 .. less with ver 3.0
    dd is awesome. If you have the correct syntax, it always works. I wish Ubuntu would add 'mintstick' or whatever it's called. I know you can add it with the ppa (I think?) as it seems even more reliable than Startup Disk Creator. I have a LMDE install and was using their usb iso creator (Usb Image Writer?) program (it is supposedly called 'Mintstick' but doesn't list it as so, anywhere) and it has always worked. They are just using dd and providing a gui front end. Works perfectly.
    Last edited by ubunt72; March 28th, 2015 at 08:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    ... and I make the dd method safe using mkusb. This method is independent of mismatches between versions, so good when testing versions before they are released.

I think there are bugfixes for the "gfxboot.c32: not a COM32R image boot:" bug, but I'm not sure they have trickled down everywhere yet. At least Unetbootin works for me now (from older Ubuntu versions to Utopic and Vivid).

Edit: and SDC works for ventrical, so things get better
    Just an add on. No matter what method you use (and if the COM32R error comes up when booting USB) it always goes to Grub when using UEFI mode/then boots right into ubiquity.

So non UEFI boot can equal COM32R error when using SDC but not with UEFI. Why ?

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ubunt72 View Post
    dd is awesome. If you have the correct syntax, it always works. I wish Ubuntu would add 'mintstick' or whatever it's called. I know you can add it with the ppa (I think?) as it seems even more reliable than Startup Disk Creator. I have a LMDE install and was using their usb iso creator (Usb Image Writer?) program (it is supposedly called 'Mintstick' but doesn't list it as so, anywhere) and it has always worked. They are just using dd and providing a gui front end. Works perfectly.
    I agree that dd is awesome (and dangerous).

mkusb is available from a PPA, so it is easy to install (in order to wrap security around dd)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Just an add on. No matter what method you use (and if the COM32R error comes up when booting USB) it always goes to Grub when using UEFI mode/then boots right into ubiquity.

So non UEFI boot can equal COM32R error when using SDC but not with UEFI. Why ?

Regards..
    I think you just showed us why. COM32R is used with syslinux but not with grub.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234