Thread: Problems with Unicode in Ubuntu font

Beans

Problems with Unicode in Ubuntu font

The Ubuntu font seems to map many unicode characters to other unicode characters. For example, Latin Capital Letter A With Tilde (U+00C3) appears as Latin Capital Letter A With Macron (U+0100). This error occurs for Ubuntu 11 regular, but not for Ubuntu 36 regular. Even at http://font.ubuntu.com/, which doesn't let me choose size 11, I find that at size 16 small a with tilde (U+00E3) appears as small a with macron (U+0101), although the capital A versions work correctly at this size. At size 36 they both work correctly. I find that Liberation Sans does not have this problem, but I like the Ubuntu font better. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem, or do I have to use Liberation Sans?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Problems with Unicode in Ubuntu font

Must have to do with font hinting and anti-aliasing. When the deviation of the tilde from a straight line gets smaller than 1 pixel, it's drawn as a straight line. When printed on paper it should still be a tilde, as on paper we have higher resolution than on screen. In Liberation Sans the tilde has a higher amplitude than in the Ubuntu font, when compared to size of the font. So, the tilde will retain a visible wave at smaller font size.

Also note the clearly exaggerated amplitude of the tilde in Liberation Sans 20. This is a rounding error in the opposite direction.