Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Pi, SD card

Beans

Re: Raspberry Pi, SD card

I think the Pi B+ uses a micro-SD, not a full sized SD card that the previous models used.
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/introduci...-model-b-plus/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Finally received the Pi, installed Raspbian using the Noob image. Played some 1080p videos using omxplayer. Compiled the GUI for omxplayer know as tboplayer. Problem is it goes fullscreen even when playing mp3 files. I tried gnome-mplayer but it didn't work.

Web surfing is slightly sluggish using Epiphany.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

For media stuff I reckon RaspBMC image is the go. Plays audio/video from any machine in the house once you set up the connections, and that's easy. Has an audio play for music and Xbmc is full screen anyhow.

It doesn't have a web browser, just boots straight to XBMC, but that never bothered me. Didn't want it to be anything but a media server anyhow, and it did that brilliantly. Surfing the web on the RPi would be sluggish.

To my mind, running a regular OS on the Pi is a bit of a hack. Not sure that was really ever the intention of the manufacturers of the dinky device.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 28th, 2015 at 06:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I too realized the fact that surfing the web with a Pi is problematic, Installed RaspBMC. Playback is flawless but I am having an issue with running NFS server on the Pi. I have installed NFS server on the Pie. I can mount the share from my Desktop but when I try to copy large files the copy process crashes midway. At this point I can no longer see the contents on the shared folder from the desktop. Then I reboot the Pi but same thing again. I have shared /media on the pie I guess the reason behind the crash is a slow USB flash drive but I am not sure.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    I too realized the fact that surfing the web with a Pi is problematic, Installed RaspBMC. Playback is flawless but I am having an issue with running NFS server on the Pi. I have installed NFS server on the Pie. I can mount the share from my Desktop but when I try to copy large files the copy process crashes midway. At this point I can no longer see the contents on the shared folder from the desktop. Then I reboot the Pi but same thing again. I have shared /media on the pie I guess the reason behind the crash is a slow USB flash drive but I am not sure.
    This is starting to get a bit off-topic from this thread, but install RaspBMC on a flash drive (USB) and try again. Much faster. You don't want to intall the OS to the Pi. You will find that if the image is installed onto USB performance improves dramatically. There is an option to do that during the making of the USB.

Beans

I hate to break it to those who recently bought a pi. It was just announced that there is a new raspberry pi 2. It has a quad core cpu and 1gb ram. It is identical in size and form factor to the B+, (same price too) but much faster. http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

I'm getting one for my Kodi setup.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Why is saying you can get a great deal for $35 "breaking it to" anyone?

It's good news!

Edit: this is also ARM7, which means Canonical may now support it.

Just ordered mine.
    Last edited by QIII; February 3rd, 2015 at 05:48 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I would be mighty upset if I had just ordered the B+ (I very nearly did order one the evening before the announcement). As it is, I have a shiny new Pi 2 B in front of me, and I'm about to go and connect it to the TV.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    As it is, I have a shiny new Pi 2 B in front of me, and I'm about to go and connect it to the TV.
    Good luck with that and enjoy. My older model is retired now, but they are rocking little dinky gizmos. No complaints from me.

If you want to use it as a media server only, I highly recommend the RaspBMC image.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; February 3rd, 2015 at 05:58 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Looking forward to this. I have my B+ running on a USB thumb drive, which improves the data access by about 40x over the Class 10 SD card (but it still has to boot from SD).
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast