Thread: Samba shares are read only, don't know why

Beans

Unhappy Samba shares are read only, don't know why

Hi,

I've recently set up a samba share on kubuntu 14.10 machine. Here's my smb.conf:
    [global]
    workgroup = workgroup
    netbios name = rigel
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = true

[share]
    path = /home/share
    browseable = yes
    read only = no
    directory mask = 0755
    create mask = 0755

When I try to connect to it on my macbook, I can connect and read the files. However, trying to write to the drive produces the error 'file system is read-only', even though I have:

drwxrwxrwx 2 josh users 4096 Jan 8 14:42 share

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Joshua_Borrow; January 9th, 2015 at 10:33 PM.

Beans

Re: Samba shares are read only, don't know why

Did you try setting the directory mask to 0777 and create mask to 0777. However I will not advise you to do so, but for quick test you can change the directory mask and create mask to 0777 and then restart samba share and then try to access the share.

If you can access the server then you will need to confirm that the user accessing the share has the right privilege (0777) to write on the share. Try to change the share ownership to the user you tried to access with.

Beans

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, even with everything 777 and the account that owns the share, I still get that it's read only.

Beans

I'm not a KDE user since I find it very disturbing but I do have a KDE system in a VBox guest for times like this.

I tried to reproduce your symptoms and have not been very successful so far. What I did was create the same folder and added the same share definition to the default smb.conf. What I did not do is throw away the other 60% of the [global] section as you have done. I have no problem writing to the share from OSX.

I suppose I could also match your [global] section and find out which one of the missing parameters is the cause of this but I did try one other experiment and that was to create a samba share of the exact same folder from dolphin and made it read only. Now I have duplicate shares from two different methods of the same folder but with different parameters. Now it fails.

Run the following command and see if you created a share in dolphin:
    Code:
    net userhsare info --long
    Last edited by Morbius1; January 9th, 2015 at 02:42 PM.

Beans

I assume you can write normally to /home/share from Linux? If you cannot do that either, then the filesystem holding /home has errors. Such filesystems are mounted read-only and need to be checked and fixed with fsck.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I can write normally in linux, yes.

Here's my output:

Code:
    info_fn: file /var/lib/samba/usershares/macbook is not a well formed usershare file.
    info_fn: Error was Path is not a directory.
    [share]
    path=/home/share
    comment=
    usershare_acl=Everyone:R,
    guest_ok=n
    I did try to create one under /home/macbook through dolphin but I deleted it as it wouldn't let me set permissions within the file browser (every time I clicked close it reverted to josh : ----- from josh : all access.

Beans

This samba share ( Read Only ):
    [share]
    path=/home/share
    comment=
    usershare_acl=Everyone:R,
    guest_ok=n
    Conflicts with this samba share ( Writeable ):
    [share]
    path = /home/share
    browseable = yes
    read only = no
    directory mask = 0755
    create mask = 0755

It's usually anyones guess which one samba will obey but in KDE's case it appears to be the one you created in dolphin. Go back into dolphin and "un-share" it.

Beans

I can't find the old folder (that has been shared by dolphin, I must have deleted it in rage) but creating a new one has solved this issue for me. Thanks for your help!