Thread: Lubuntu and Dosbox.

Beans

Lubuntu and Dosbox.

Does anyone have a how to guide on getting dosbox to work with Lubuntu? Trying to play Warlords 2 on my old HP 6910p laptop.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Lubuntu and Dosbox.

As far as I recall, instructions are included somewhere in the files. I used to have DosBox installed to Kubuntu to play Aces of the Pacific on my old laptop.

You have to create a virtual C: drive somewhere (which is just a directory named c in Linux), and mount that using DOS commands when you start DosBox.

I didn't even have to install Aces of the Pacific in DosBox. I just put it in a directory within the c directory, started DosBox, mounted the virtual C: drive and navigated to the directory the game was in, then typed aces and it ran.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

easiest thing to do is to install oracle java and then DBGL: http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/

I did it like that then it is really easy to install and run various dos games. You can setup nice pictures in launcher to recognise the games or find them faster. there is a short description next to them picked up form online database. so you can remember what the game is about etc. I set it up for my kid and he has no issue choosing and playing the game.

you can of course also just manually create shortcuts to your game and include necessary commands to launch the game (mount command, cycles, full screen or not etc.).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Ok great. Just got done playing Warlords 2 in full sound. Brought me back to 1993. Thanks!