Thread: How do I change email addresses in my account ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Post How do I change email addresses in my account ?

Hi,

I just tried changing my email address in my account and it did nothing apparently ..
    I tried to have it do it via "auto-fill" then pressed save and it didn't do anything.
    Then I tried typing it manually and still nothing.
    I don't know where to go from here. It just keeps saying "thanks for updating your account" and it doesn't change it or send a validation link to the email I'm trying to update it to.

Maybe a moderator could reply with a link or something so I can message them the email I'm trying to get it changed to ? I'm just trying to change it back to my first email that it was before ..
    Not sure if this is a site-wide problem or just me ..

thanks in advance .
    = Roi'ikka-Ta =

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How do I change email addresses in my account ?

Thread moved to Forum Feedback & Help.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I see that you successfully changed your forum account email on 29th December, and then re-activated the account from the verification email. I can see nothing that would be giving you problems now.

This is the procedure that I have just tested with a test account:

Click on the "Settings" link at the top-right of the page while logged in, then on "Edit Email & Password" on the left. Ignore the edit password fields - they are not needed. Type your new email address in the New Email Address and Confirm New Email Address fields and click on the Save Changes button. Now re-activate the account from the verification email sent to the new email address.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Hi,

It's not doing it for some reason. It says "thank you for updating your profile" then just sends me back to the user control panel. It doesn't log me out or anything. No email sent to re-activate or anything ..
    = Roi'ikka-Ta =

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Is it because I'm trying to change it back to my original email address .. ? As in I changed it then I want to just change it back.
    = Roi'ikka-Ta =

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by roiikkata View Post
    Is it because I'm trying to change it back to my original email address .. ? As in I changed it then I want to just change it back.
    I don't think so. When I tested this earlier with a test account, I changed the email from the original one to another one, and then back again, all without problems.

I'm not quite sure which you mean is your "original" one. According to the change history you changed the email from email address A to email address B on November 9th, and then from email address B back to address A on December 29th. Address A being shorter than address B. Are you sure you are not simply trying to save the email address that is already registered to your account? If you do that you do indeed get a "Thank you for updating your profile..." message, no verification email (because there wouldn't be any point) and you are taken back to your userCP.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

oh, right .. so it's sending me the notifications to the correct email address but my login email address is the problem. I'm still logging in with email address B and it won't let me log in with email address A, the shorter one. Maybe you guys could fix that ? If I'm logged out I'll get the notifications that i need to activate my account, it's just not letting me sign in with address A.
    = Roi'ikka-Ta =

Beans
    Hidden!

If you want to change the email address you use to login to the forum, you'll have to change it from within the SSO system rather than directly from the forum. Go to http://login.ubuntu.com and click on "manage my email addresses".
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Got it. It worked. logged out and logged back in just fine. Thanks coffeecat, thanks lisati .
    = Roi'ikka-Ta =