Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would anyone like free hardware to use in testing?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Would anyone like free hardware to use in testing?

I cannot believe my eyes.

http://mhall119.com/2015/01/communit...eport-q2-2014/

If you want to travel to an event, would like us to sponsor an event, need hardware for development or testing, or anything else that you feel will make Ubuntu the project and the community better, please go and fill out the request form.
    Now don't all rush at once! I saw it first.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Would anyone like free hardware to use in testing?

I filled out a request for a ver3 SATA 3TB hdd for testing UEFI and to replace older storage devices.

Who knows eh ?

Thanks Graham.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I think I need one of these to test on ...

Cray-XE6.jpg
    Last edited by QIII; January 7th, 2015 at 04:27 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I think I need one of these to test on ...

Cray-XE6.jpg
    Thought you would of asked for New Teeth!

Beans

I'd kind of like a refurb UEFI box or laptop with Win 8 or higher to perform iso-testing on but I'm reluctant to ask because my health is on the decline so I might no more than get it and drop dead

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Perhaps we could use this thread to come up with a list of special testing needs and the hardware that is required to run those tests. Then, maybe some of us could offer to request these items and do the testing.

The issue I see with UEFI and Windows 8 is the way manufacturers seem to be deviating from the specifications with every model they release. It is important to remember that this money is not set aside for Canonical engineers to spend on equipment for development or testing but for the Ubuntu community. And some of us here are good candidates for applying for this under the testing category.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Good point graham.

Beans

The latest and greatest new hardware can be quite expensive but I think there is a true need for individual testers to be trying Ubuntu or it's flavors on newer equipment. I think most development is actually performed on virtual machines, at least that has frequently popped up during various bug discussions on Launchpad, etc.

A perfect example of need for newer hardware to test with is that ubiquity on UEFI with Windows 8 data eraser bug. I gladly would have done the verification for the bug-fix but I lacked the hardware - thankfully ventrical came to the rescue

Another scenario that comes to mind is Tim Lunn's unanswered request for testing Ubuntu GNOME with Optimus graphics due to some upstream gdm bug. No testing = no fix

That said I really am kind of serious about not being in a good position to put such equipment to good use myself. I've already scaled back my iso-testing and reporting on the QA Tracker. I used to use two test boxes at the same time to perform various tests but I just can't handle multi-tasking at all anymore. Sometimes I get confused even just performing one set of tests on one machine - that's where notepads and sticky notes come in handy

If I still had the umph to pull it off I would put in a request for a refurb UEFI puter - much cheaper than even building from scratch and usually you'll know within the 90 day warranty period if you have a dud or not + by the time refurbs start rolling out you can Google search the "make & model + Ubuntu" and find out if it's compatible at all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I traced down the guideleines... and a few points stuck out (edited below to summarize). I think the key points are:
    Any Ubuntu Member is welcome to apply for funding from this donations budget (Ubuntu Membership is required).
    Here are some examples of common areas we will likely fund:

Equipment (e.g. if a community member wants to add support for the equipment to Ubuntu).
    <From the Donation Report>
    ...need hardware for development or testing, or anything else that you feel will make Ubuntu the project and the community better, ...
    That's what is of interest to here?

I think it is also of interest to a certain mdadm-GUI project... on live storage space to test on.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Ok .. I need your help or some simple suggestions. I received a reply for my request of a SATA ver3 3TB hdd worth about $150 Canadian.

One of the persons has asked me;

Can you please tell us how having that equipment will benefit the
    Ubuntu project or community?
    I am not sure how to answer. I had stated already that I would use it to test UEFI hardware with
    Windows OSes and the Ubuntu <install alongside> option in Ubiquity. UEFI is needed to test storage space greater than 2TBs. But the other benefit would be personal as I would be able to free up an existing 1.5TB and 500GB hdd so that I can return them for my personal use.

From an purely economic standpoint , how would I , personally being the recipient of the
    aforesaid benevolence, be able to benefit the Ubuntu community as a whole? All I can think
    of is that my experience and testing efforts may provide some data to developers when testing
    larger hardware form factors.

Any input would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards..

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast