Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New entry in Grub menu (SystemD)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

New entry in Grub menu (SystemD)

You might have noticed that Grub's got new entry in each and every linux kernel section (UpStart one or SystemD one depending of default on Your install)...
    So, for those of You that count for each kernel in Advance_section two entries change is that they shoud count now three...
    „1>k“ where k=3*i+j,
    i=0, 1, 2,... # of kernel in the list
    j=0 for regular default session (depending of what is default for pid 1 (init) on Your system (UpStart or SystemD), default will be used for init(ialization))
    j=1 for alternative session (depending of what is default for pid 1 (init) on Your sastem (UpStart od systemD) alternative to default will be used for init(ialization))
    j=2 for recovery_mode session
    Let alone the fact that (I am reporting ths from Upstart session even thoigh I had each and every instance of UpStart removed as repoted in detail in other threads) there is a possibilty to boot with UpStart instead of SystemD and vice versa. Nice.
    Last edited by zika; January 10th, 2015 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Corrections are made to reflect http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2259716&p=13204191#post13204191

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: New entry in Grub menu (UpStart)

I just rebooted to check for myself. I get a SystemD option. I am running Vivid as it comes through daily updates. I have not messed with SystemD in anyway. I guess it means that the options are being kept open to not break the development release. At some point the switch to SystemD will have to be complete with Upstart being removed but in the mean time we can test what is coming in from SystemD and still have a working development release (running Upstart) if something breaks.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Works just fine here when I choose systemd option from Grub.

Nice work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I was wondering about that. Pretty cool!

Except instead of PID 1 being init it is now upstart.

That complicates my wiki possibly. Not sure yet... everything is happening so fast... Too fast for me...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Now I get it - systemd is now the default and to boot into upstart you need an init= command. I guess the $vt_handoff is new too.

This would be default systemd:

Code:
    menuentry "Vivid Vervet 15.04 (devel branch)" {
        set root=(hd0,5)
            linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff 
            initrd /initrd.img
    }
    and this would be for upstart:

Code:
    menuentry "Vivid Vervet 15.04 Upstart (devel branch)" {
        set root=(hd0,5)
            linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff init=/sbin/upstart
            initrd /initrd.img
    }
    Thank you very much zika for bringing this to my attention.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; January 7th, 2015 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typo: left out the / before sbin/upstart

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Tested this and it does indeed work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Now I get it - systemd is now the default
    Not here it isn't. Standard default grub has upstart first

and to boot into upstart you need an init= command.
    with systemd needing the init= stanza

I guess the $vt_handoff is new too.
    Not here it isn't

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

In the Vivid that I have been using since the start of its development cycle the SystemD option is in the Advanced options for Ubuntu sub-menu. This is a comparison of the two relevant lines from grub.cfg. First the default and then the systemD option.

linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-24-generic root=UUID=5decfcfc-cb12-4294-bebd-4f70c129258c ro quiet splash $vt_handoff
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-24-generic root=UUID=5decfcfc-cb12-4294-bebd-4f70c129258c ro quiet splash $vt_handoff init=/lib/systemd/systemd
    I have just loaded into Ubuntu with the SystemD option and the loading reached a point where it seemed to be going nowhere. Then I tapped Enter and the disk activity continued and it loaded to the login screen. And beyond, in case you were wondering.

I am using a digital TV as a monitor and the screen tends to dim if there is little video activity. And I had the "No signal" message with its count down to sleep mode at the time. This is normal with this monitor. So, I am wondering if there was a confirmation request that did not appear on my screen. I am also wondering if an install from the latest Vivid daily will reverse the options with Upstart in the Advanced options sub-menu. I cannot test this today. I will do so tomorrow.

Regards.

EDIT: The systemd option will load to a the login screen without the need to press Enter but it takes a lot longer to do it then the Upstart option.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; January 8th, 2015 at 04:58 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    ... I am also wondering if an install from the latest Vivid daily will reverse the options with Upstart in the Advanced options sub-menu. I cannot test this today. I will do so tomorrow...
    Assuming that a vbox install is not any different then ...

Livesession boots with upstart
    Install defaults to upstart with systemd available in Advanced

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Not here it isn't. Standard default grub has upstart first

with systemd needing the init= stanza

Not here it isn't
    It definitely is on my system and I have proof.

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    In the Vivid that I have been using since the start of its development cycle the SystemD option is in the Advanced options for Ubuntu sub-menu. This is a comparison of the two relevant lines from grub.cfg. First the default and then the systemD option.

linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-24-generic root=UUID=5decfcfc-cb12-4294-bebd-4f70c129258c ro quiet splash $vt_handoff
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-24-generic root=UUID=5decfcfc-cb12-4294-bebd-4f70c129258c ro quiet splash $vt_handoff init=/lib/systemd/systemd
    I have just loaded into Ubuntu with the SystemD option and the loading reached a point where it seemed to be going nowhere. Then I tapped Enter and the disk activity continued and it loaded to the login screen. And beyond, in case you were wondering.

I am using a digital TV as a monitor and the screen tends to dim if there is little video activity. And I had the "No signal" message with its count down to sleep mode at the time. This is normal with this monitor. So, I am wondering if there was a confirmation request that did not appear on my screen. I am also wondering if an install from the latest Vivid daily will reverse the options with Upstart in the Advanced options sub-menu. I cannot test this today. I will do so tomorrow.

Regards.

EDIT: The systemd option will load to a the login screen without the need to press Enter but it takes a lot longer to do it then the Upstart option.
    It may very well be that it changed because I installed the alpha1 on December 18th when it came out. My boot lines in the default grub show as I posted above.
    Just $vt_handoff on the default systemd line and $vt_handoff init=/sbin/upstart on the non-default option of upstart.
    I don't really notice that much difference but upstart does appear to be a few seconds slower on this old pc.

Those lines I posted do indeed boot and work well in my custom grub. And I have it as 10_linux does: systemd default and upstart as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Assuming that a vbox install is not any different then ...

Livesession boots with upstart
    Install defaults to upstart with systemd available in Advanced
    That's rather peculiar as it's the opposite on my system and here the proof:

I zoomed in a bit because of the background picture, but if I'm lying I'm dying.

Edit: perhaps a vbox install is different. I did a regular install from ISO on December 18th.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; January 8th, 2015 at 07:50 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast