Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: One pendrive for all PC (Intel/AMD) computers - single-boot dual-boot multi-boot

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: One pendrive for all PC (Intel/AMD) computers - single-boot dual-boot multi-boot

Yes, this img is able to upgrade the kernel like any installed system. But I have to make its boot system different, so that it will boot in the SP3.

-o-

After some more testing, I found some boot problems too in UEFI mode. So this compressed image must be improved.

Beans

Re: One pendrive for all PC (Intel/AMD) computers - single-boot dual-boot multi-boot

Installed it to a 16GB USB using EFI with no issues.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

@haoz2,

I made a new system, that boots in a different way (similar to the previous systems that boot in your SP3, but where you cannot use the keyboard),

- with secure boot
    - via the boot system for live drives

It is more complicated, but it is done now, and I hope it will be useful

You can find the new system in the following link. I think it is stable, and a better alternative if you want a portable installed system with Ubuntu 15.10:

Compressed image file with a live Ubuntu 14.04.2 and an installed Ubuntu 15.10
    Last edited by sudodus; January 21st, 2016 at 06:02 AM.

Beans

Thanks @sudodus! This new system is amazing. Type cover 3 is working by just simply editing conf file. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2300868

But upgrading kernel won't do. (I still wanna try other kernel since multi-touch & typecover 4 aren't fully working.)
    1. I downloaded kernel binaries and installed it. New initrd & linux images are present in /boot/.
    2. Delete old symbolic links and re-link them.
    3. Edit /media/guru/usb-live/boot/grub/grub.cfg (I find the only line I can edit in a menuentry is the last line: initrd /boot/initrd.img-4.2.0-25-generic )

Then reboot and choose corresponding entry. It loads a while and says "Gave up waiting for root device".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by haoz2; January 22nd, 2016 at 11:10 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

There are two lines to edit, so that they point to your new kernel:

A. the line starting with linux and the line starting with initrd

B. alternatively two symbolic links to update, one for initrd.img and one for vmlinuz.

Beans

Thanks! I though it has to be ".efi.signed" but actually not.
    After upgrading to latest patched kernel here, everything seems working perfectly!

Beans
    Hidden!

Congratulations haoz2

Beans

Cheers!

Beans
    Hidden!

Have you ever seen it able to boot to grub using both BIOS and UEFI, but the individual ISOs only will boot if the system was booted BIOS?

- If set to BIOS/CSM, I get the grub menu, can pick one of my 6 (and growing) options, and I see system startup log messages immediately.
    - If set to EFI, I get the grub menu, I can pick one of my options, I get "error: no suitable video mode found. Booting in blind mode." and then it hangs. It doesn't matter what ISO or distro I use.

I tried this both under VirtualBox (on Ubuntu and on Mac) and booting the physical machine directly.

Beans
    Hidden!

Please tell me more about this problem!

I know that this grub-n-iso method does not work with secure boot.

(There is an alternative for secure boot, but does not work with 32-bit systems: mkusb/persistent: Using data from the source iso file)

I know that there are problems with graphics when I try to boot Ubuntu Server in UEFI mode. See this link: installing Ubuntu Server in UEFI mode

If I understand correctly, you are talking about problems, that are related to graphics.

Please tell me

- which iso files you have tried

- which version of VirtualBox you are using

- the specification of the computer:
    . Brand name and model
    . CPU
    . RAM (size)
    . graphics chip/card
    . wifi chip/card

I will try to see what can be done with your problem.

Edit: I have not developed this method for all [major] linux distros. But it works for me (and several other users) with the current versions of Ubuntu and Ubuntu based distros and re-spins. Your problem might be that the menuentry must be modified for each non-Ubuntu iso file.

See this link: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...boot_USB_drive
    Last edited by sudodus; April 6th, 2016 at 12:07 PM.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast