Thread: Car Rental + Good Family Vacation Locations in LA?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Car Rental + Good Family Vacation Locations in LA?

Hey all,

I am going to be in LA end of January to visit family. I am currently researching car rentals + recommendations for a family and child-friendly mini-vacation.

For car rentals I am looking for any good websites that offer really good deals (looking to rent a standard sized car for the duration of our stay, about 2 and a half weeks)?

For the mini-vacation originally we were thinking of 1-2 days at a family friendly farm or something like that (it's common here in Austria). But I was told there isn't anything like that in LA and it's mostly beach oriented. Any ideas/recommendations? Our little one is almost 2.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Car Rental + Good Family Vacation Locations in LA?

If you are going to be along the Gulf Coast you may find a ride along the coast a good thing. It will be a little cool temperature but there are plenty of Fort's along the coast and the beach in Florida ( Destin, Pensacola ) are great.
    It is the off season so lodging should not be a issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Car rentals in California are wide open -- if you want to go Ultracheap where you would provide the insurance in case of an accident and get maybe a 2-3 year old model -- Fox rent a car is the way to go. Its super cheap. Car rental in US right now are at all time high in terms of prices -- so just be careful.

In terms of places to go with a 2 year old??? -- Hmm thats a tough one -- DisneyLand, SanDiego Zoo, LegoLand. For the more adventerous there is a lot of hiking in Topanga Canyon and Hollywood Hills -- hike up to the Hollywood Sign at dusk is really nice -- see city by night. Santa Monica Pier -- quick trip (not sure if this is best for 2 y/o). Simi Valley (Reagan national library is a good day trip). Joshua Tree National Park?? Palm Springs? Probably need more info on how far you want to drive.

Beans

In most of the USA, cheap car rental means NOT using a rental company that has its office and car storage on the airport. Such companies have to charge a special "hotel" or "entertainment" city tax on their rentals.

Arrange your rental ahead of time with a non-airport-based rental company, and take a taxi from the airport to the company's location.

LA is Louisiana or Los Angeles?
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thank you very much for the feedback.

I am thinking of signing up for a cell phone contract for a month only, and I would only need a sim card, is something like that possible?
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources