Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xilinx SDK and Peta-Linux in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Xilinx SDK and Peta-Linux in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Polorboy View Post
    I need to install it to the same location that Vivado was installed to, which defaulted to the opt directory.
    According to this xilinx wiki
    PetaLinux will be installed in the petalinux-v2013.10-final directory, directly underneath the working directory of this command.
    So, if you install the installer into your home directory /home/user, PetaLinux will be installed in /home/user/petalinux-v2013.10-final.
    You may move the resulting petalinux-v2013.10-final directory to a preferred location before continuing.

Beans

I tried to install gksudo, and got this:

sudo apt-get install gksudo
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package gksudo

Beans

I was somehow able to get it installed, still not quite sure how that happened. Getting it to run is the next hurdle.

However, now I am getting a warning that I am not root and an error that it can't find g++ in the path. G++ was the first thing I installed. I read somewhere that it was suggested to make a "make" file. Now, the entirety of my experience has been developing in Windows, which as far as I am concerned is significantly simpler and easier to do. Regardless, I don't ever see myself ever having to type the command "make" since I am going to be doing everything from the Xilinx SDK and that itself should be doing all of that stuff. My question is, how do I add g++ to the Linux path variable permanently. I know it can get done any number of ways that are varying degree of temporary, but I want to do it once and never have to do it again. Again, this is a simple task in Windows. I literally just go to system settings and edit the Path variable, takes about 2 seconds. From what I have read and understand this is no simple task in Linux. Anyone care to let me know how it is done?

Beans

See http://askubuntu.com/questions/60218...-to-my-pathfor a rundown of many of ways to add a path to your $PATH, and the discussion of which may be appropriate for you.

It's very easy on Linux, too.

Beans

I am still unable to install gksudo, since that is the "recommended" way to run an gui application from the console. I am still getting the following when trying to install gksudo:

Building dependency tree

I also tried to create a launcher, but quickly realized that this also was removed from Ubuntu. So, I found the following article about adding the functionality back to Ubuntu and that is also not working: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Un...ndDesktopFiles. I created a launcher for the Xilinx SDK as in the "Using gnome-panel/alacarte" section but the SDK does not launch.

I finally get this installed and the only way to launch it is to go directly to the folder where it installed and run the application via "sudo" from a console? Why does Linux have a GUI again? I don't think I have ever launched a usable program from an icon or any desktop element? I am not being facetious, I don't get what having a GUI does when everything has to be launched from a console anyway? It is getting annoying though.

I was also getting the ibus warning that I wasn't root, so I followed the instructions here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2140352 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1125944. What I got from that was that it was going to be ignored, so I deleted the folder. I don't know what it does or why it is even needed. A few people seemed to have success with removing the error by deleting the folder.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The package you need goes by the name of gksu.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gksu
    will install it. You can then run gksudo from a terminal.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Polorboy View Post
    I am still unable to install gksudo, since that is the "recommended" way to run an gui application from the console. I am still getting the following when trying to install gksudo:

Building dependency tree

I also tried to create a launcher, but quickly realized that this also was removed from Ubuntu. So, I found the following article about adding the functionality back to Ubuntu and that is also not working: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Un...ndDesktopFiles. I created a launcher for the Xilinx SDK as in the "Using gnome-panel/alacarte" section but the SDK does not launch.

I finally get this installed and the only way to launch it is to go directly to the folder where it installed and run the application via "sudo" from a console? Why does Linux have a GUI again? I don't think I have ever launched a usable program from an icon or any desktop element? I am not being facetious, I don't get what having a GUI does when everything has to be launched from a console anyway? It is getting annoying though.

I was also getting the ibus warning that I wasn't root, so I followed the instructions here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2140352 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1125944. What I got from that was that it was going to be ignored, so I deleted the folder. I don't know what it does or why it is even needed. A few people seemed to have success with removing the error by deleting the folder.
    Sorry, made a typo - and fixed it
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    The package you need goes by the name of gksu.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gksu
    will install it. You can then run gksudo from a terminal.
    ^^^
    This.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12