Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Please help test the bug-fix for 'Install/reinstall wipes out all/other partitions'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Please help test the bug-fix for 'Install/reinstall wipes out all/other partition

I could not get gparted to create an actual partition. It wanted to send some details to the developer, but , there were no details.

Ubuntu correctly identifies, formats and installs the systems on the new, cutting edge hdd in BIOS and UEFI mode. Windows 10 and Windows 8 Tech Preview seem to have a problem with the geometry of the drive but are still able to install in UEFI mode.

gparted has a problem also with the new drive. I am going to switch the drive to an older UEFI system and see if it works there. It could also be a setting I have set wrong in the BIOS of my newer MSi Mother board.

Thanks for your suggest and info research. I am looking into all this still.

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Please help test the bug-fix for 'Install/reinstall wipes out all/other partition

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Ubuntu correctly identifies, formats and installs the systems on the new, cutting edge hdd in BIOS and UEFI mode. Windows 10 and Windows 8 Tech Preview seem to have a problem with the geometry of the drive but are still able to install in UEFI mode.

gparted has a problem also with the new drive ...
    It seems Ubuntu is faster than Windows and gparted to manage your new, cutting edge hdd :-

Did you look for the newest possible version of gparted?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    It seems Ubuntu is faster than Windows and gparted to manage your new, cutting edge hdd :-

Did you look for the newest possible version of gparted?
    Seems that this could be a possible fix. I have to take small break as my service provider notified me and told me I was way over my b/w limit for this month.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

I just wanted to document this here.

I softbricked the hdd to the point where my newer UEFI system would not boot until I removed the new hdd. I then put it in another, older Intel UEFI system and I have it running up once again. I used gparted to resize the Windows partiton. All went well until I tried to create a swap drive. I think then also it overwrote a file on the live USB drive of xubuntu - so i will have to re-burn that.. so this new technology is real fun

As you can see the information reported in gparted is not the same as reported in ubiquity <something else>.

Since I have now crashed the live xubuntu system I will burn the daily and try an install with that.

Beans
    Hidden!

How did you create the USB boot drive? If you flash the iso to USB with mkusb, it will be a read-only ISO9660 file system, and should not be allowed to be overwritten.

Beans
    Distro

SDC on 10.10 , discard on shutdown. I think that the Windows 10 OS fired something at the USB stick. I have the drive installed now on older UEFI system .. but it completely locked up my new system.

I will be testing this later

Beans
    Distro

I had found out that the problem is that I was NOT using the 'extend' option in the Windows 10 Installer. Windows Installer is not intuitive, such as is xubuntu (daily-live/current 15.04). So now it appears that I cn hard install and resize the partition, however, the Windows 10 Installer warned me that it could not be changed. Let's see what happens
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Keeping it simple

edit:

Just making a note that this was a success after using 'extend' from windows installer. If you do not use extend then Ubuntu cannot use the free extra space left over.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ventrical; March 12th, 2015 at 08:50 AM.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112