Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: G5 video cards

Re: G5 video cards

Well I've been trying to get my GeForce 8400 GS to work in this mac with no luck.I have both the original 6600 + the 8400 gs and I can boot and get display on the 6600, nothing on the 8400. here's my xorg.conf.

Section "Device"
    Identifier "6600"
    Driver "nv"
    BoardName "GeForce 6600"
    # BusID "PCI:0:0a:0"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "8400gs"
    Driver "nv"
    BoardName "GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 3"
    # BusID "PCI:1:6:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "screen1"
    Device "6600"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "screen2"
    Device "8400gs"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen 0 "screen1"
    Screen 1 "screen2" RightOf "My screen 1"
    EndSection

I have the BusID comented out because it will boot into low bit display no matter what I've put there

#lspci | grep VGA
    0000:0a:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600] (rev a2)
    0001:06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 3] (rev a2)

Oh a weird one i noticed not only will it not boot without the MAC firmared 6600 in it, it won't even boot if a monitor is not connected to it.
    thanks for all the help so far and any more that I may get.
    Last edited by robert-mathew-harris; January 12th, 2015 at 11:19 AM.

Well i just tested and there is deffinatley a temerature difference between linux+nouveau and osx whith these GeForce 6600 cards. OSX at idle the GPU is at 51 C, ubuntu 12.04 ppc with nouveau its 81 C. I think that may have to do with it crashing under the nouveau driver, I cant test the temps with the open source NV driver, but it runs on NV without constant crashes, unlike nouveau.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

You may need to set cpu frequency scaling to help with that. See the Ubuntu wiki.
    iBook G4 1.42GHz Ubuntu-MATE 15.04
    PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz Debian Wheezy

see its not CPU its GPU, the grapghics card is over heating with nouveau.not the CPU, sorry I should have put graphics card , GPU and CPU do look very similar.

Has anyone had any experience with the G5 on Ubuntu lately.

Beans

If you check the thread "Testers wanted for Ubuuntu MATE 14.04 lately it's all been about G5 . . . which I again, don't have, but they seem to be cooking some fun stuff there.

e. . .

Beans

If you have a more Pcie slots like is my Quad G5 you can use a RadeonHD video board on G5 but you need the 16x slot used by the Video Board with Apple PPC firmware (example the 6600) and the 8x used by RadeonHD .

This is mate running on my configuration .
    Note RadeonHD is working only (for now) on Mate 14.04.x on 15.x.x for now is not working
    and on Lubuntu 14.04
    On debian the Radeon HD are not working .

Mate (nvidia+radeonhd)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NySh...9d-x_tn2FXLojQ

Lubuntu (ati x1900gt +RadeonHD)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp_IvG7h5_0

i suggest to everyone to use the nvidia + RadeonHD becasue the x1900 boards speens like turbo jet when linux start running on RadeonHD

edit : i hope the mos team can use this tip for make Mos running on Radeonhd on g5 quad
    Last edited by luigiburdo; March 12th, 2015 at 09:10 AM.

hey can you tell me how you got the non apple radeon to work on there? what was your xorg.conf like? i couldnt ever get my non apple nvidia to display anything.

Beans

Hi robert just did experiments
    but all my experiments was related radeonhd ... i dont have an invida to test here.
    I cant share my xorg.conf because there isnt a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in my filesystem all was did by the dri and kernel i think.
    How i make the video work?
    this is my Linux start command line

Code:
    Linux video=offb:off video=nouveaufb:off video=radeonfb:off nouveau.modeset=0 radeon.modeset=1
    I think for your pc invidia will be

Code:
    Linux video=offb:off video=nouveaufb:off video=radeonfb:off nouveau.modeset=1 radeon.modeset=0
    Note i was not luck to have my Nvidia (Apple firmware) work with Mate but nvidia work great with Debian Wheezy
    do a try to Debian(wheezy and Jessi) too
    Last edited by luigiburdo; March 13th, 2015 at 06:06 PM.

thats awesome you got it to work so easily, so far the only success ive had with this apple firmware nvidia has been to compile the old open source NV driver and set xorg.conf to use it instead of nouveau or fbdev. I have been think about try debian out, seems people have better luck with it and the nvidia cards.

Does anyone know if you can run 2 diferent nvidia drivers at the same time? id like to use nouveau on one card and nv on another but i think they would conflict eachother.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast