Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Persian Fonts rendering/display problem on facebook

Beans

Persian Fonts rendering/display problem on facebook

Hi, I was using ubuntu other day and i came across this weird problem related to display/rendering of persian fonts on facebook and other similar websites, i did install most of the popular persian fonts in order to make it go away but it was not the case.

Then, i read somewhere that Tahoma fonts was the main culprit for this issue so, i went on with copying my whole windows 8.1 fonts directory to /usr/share/fonts *i was asked to use .fonts folder but i couldn't find that folder* but that didn't fix the problem as it turned out the fonts access was limited to root only meaning i would have only accessed fonts there if i were to use any application in my case chrome/firefox as root.

so, when i tried it, it fixed the problem, but then because i wanted to use it normally, i had to change permissions of those fonts, which made firefox nuts, as it was unable to render simple english fonts correctly, but on chrome it was like as i was using it on windows, where i didn't have single problems with fonts rendering whatsoever.

Can't ubuntu do something about this so that new user wont have to face this problem?

Beans

Re: Persian Fonts rendering/display problem on facebook

Actually, it can't be simpler: open file manager, double click the font, fontviewer opens with a button "install font", klick the button -> DONE

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    Actually, it can't be simpler: open file manager, double click the font, fontviewer opens with a button "install font", klick the button -> DONE
    I have tried doing that, but i couldn't get it to work. The change in permissions of fonts directory plus lack of MS core fonts which i had to copy to usr/share/fonts directory made it work. Still, its not as perfect as it used to be in windows, where the fonts are somewhat more elegant/refined/crisp than being blurred/discontinuous/broken.

Beans

actually, the font folder is in ~/.local/share/fonts
    If you install a font (ttf for example) with double click, it will create the fonts folder automatically.
    If you don't, you need to create a new folder from right-click menu and rename it to "fonts" in ~/.local/share/ directory.
    You don't need to change permission.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ko_Char View Post
    actually, the font folder is in ~/.local/share/fonts
    If you install a font (ttf for example) with double click, it will create the fonts folder automatically.
    If you don't, you need to create a new folder from right-click menu and rename it to "fonts" in ~/.local/share/ directory.
    You don't need to change permission.
    Ok, May be you are right, but if thats the case, then i don't know why any of my web browser didn't display/access those fonts? I had to copy Tahoma fonts along with other Microsoft core fonts from Windows 8.1 to that directory and even then those were not working, after that i did little digging and found out that neither chrome nor firefox were using those fonts because of restricted permission as all of those fonts in that directory were limited to root user, so, that's why i changed the permission which solved the issue in Chrome, but totally messed up firefox, Anyway, those fonts are working on chrome but i still don't get this thing: why are my fonts not smooth or elegant in display as they are while using windows? They seem little blurred, i mean not as crispy as they are while i browse internet on windows.

What i would like is: Use ubuntu with windows fonts? Can i do that? To uninstall all the fonts in the ubuntu and then use windows one? Because i think that will solve the remaining problems.
    Last edited by jack_daniels3; December 29th, 2014 at 06:38 PM.

Beans

This is what helped me and why i changed permission level: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2216759&page=2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you want to install Windows fonts (and other License-restricted packages used to play video for ex, flash and such), install ubuntu-restricted-extras. More here :
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...icrosoft_Fonts
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    If you want to install Windows fonts (and other License-restricted packages used to play video for ex, flash and such), install ubuntu-restricted-extras. More here :
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...icrosoft_Fonts
    That i did by simply copying fonts from fonts folder located in MS windows, my problem was that none of my application had access to those fonts by default, which led to permission change. Isn't there anything which can be done to address this issue in upcoming releases?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Not everyone has a Windows partition to copy fonts from. The ubuntu-restricted-extras package has been providing them for a few years now, the issue has already been fixed several releases back
    (and there already was another way before that).
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    Not everyone has a Windows partition to copy fonts from. The ubuntu-restricted-extras package has been providing them for a few years now, the issue has already been fixed several releases back
    (and there already was another way before that).
    If that's the case then i am not sure why i was facing this issue on 14.04 LTS? I mean those fonts were pretty unreadable/broken/disconnected while i was using facebook or wikipedia in persian language; now that was solved by fixing permissions.

Apart from firefox issue where all of them fail to render by default after i have fixed those permissions, those fonts on chrome appear bold/thick/non-clear *which gives the blurry impression* while i browse facebook/wikipedia which was not the case on MS Windows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast