Thread: Dell Inspiron 15-3542 15.6" Laptop -- Two Thumbs Up!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs up Dell Inspiron 15-3542 15.6" Laptop -- Two Thumbs Up!

Picked up this laptop last week as an additional system for use in the basement. Removed the 500GB hard drive and replaced with one I had on hand. Installed Mint 17.1 Cinammon and I cannot find anything that doesn't work. Bluetooh, wireless, touchpad, media card reader whatever -- everything seems to work perfectly. Older-style dual pentium with 4GB memory. Nothing fancy, but solid.

I decided I missed Ubuntu, so I installed 14.04. Again, I cannot find any issue with this set-up at all.

--
    Mike

Beans

Re: Dell Inspiron 15-3542 15.6" Laptop -- Two Thumbs Up!

Quote Originally Posted by mbott View Post
    Picked up this laptop last week as an additional system for use in the basement. Removed the 500GB hard drive and replaced with one I had on hand. Installed Mint 17.1 Cinammon and I cannot find anything that doesn't work. Bluetooh, wireless, touchpad, media card reader whatever -- everything seems to work perfectly. Older-style dual pentium with 4GB memory. Nothing fancy, but solid.
    Not too old - 4th generation Haswell is pretty new. Just an i3 without hyperthreading so a tiny bit slower. "Pentium" is now just a marketing name for Intel's budget CPUs (same with "Celeron").

I've had good luck with Ubuntu on Dell laptops. One reason is that Dell sells some of theirs with Ubuntu on them.