Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Call for Testing - GNOME 3.14 in Vivid

Beans

Call for Testing - GNOME 3.14 in Vivid

Tim Lunn recntly put out a call for testing GNOME 3.14 in Vivid:

We will be landing a big update into vivid early next week which is now staged on ppa:ubuntu-gnome-packaging/core3.14. Please test and let us
    know of any issues you might find. Needs to be installed over a clean vivid system or all gnome3-team ppa's purged first.
    I ran into two problems; (1) highlighted items in the launcher remain highlighted even after moving the mouse, and (2) the frequently used menu items are garbled:

Screenshot from 2014-12-23 22_13_49.jpg

I wasn't sure what package to file a bug report against so I just told Tim on the mailing list:

Sorry to take so long. I notice that if I "mouse-over" menu items in the launcher they stay highlighted even after moving the mouse away from the item, and if I open the menu by selecting the bottom item in the launcher the menu is very garbled. Since a picture is worth a thousand words I'll attach a screenshot.
    I've so far only tried this in Ubuntu GNOME but I'll try it in Ubuntu soon. Ultimately it would be nice to see this tested in all the flavors just to be sure we're not breaking things for others

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Call for Testing - GNOME 3.14 in Vivid

To the devs working on this :

Very very awsome with the 'show applications' theme. This is everything that unity8 and desktop next is not.

*note*

I have been running a gnome3 install since vivid inception. It has not hic-upped once. The vortex-graphicals are really sassy and effervescent. People will take notice. Great work ...

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Tim Lunn recntly put out a call for testing GNOME 3.14 in Vivid:

I ran into two problems; (1) highlighted items in the launcher remain highlighted even after moving the mouse, and (2) the frequently used menu items are garbled:

Screenshot from 2014-12-23 22_13_49.jpg

I wasn't sure what package to file a bug report against so I just told Tim on the mailing list:

I've so far only tried this in Ubuntu GNOME but I'll try it in Ubuntu soon. Ultimately it would be nice to see this tested in all the flavors just to be sure we're not breaking things for others
    When working properly the 'show applications' items will spew out from the icon in a sort of vortex and then place themsleves on to the screen No problems here with frequently used. It's awesome work they did on this.

Regards.
    Last edited by ventrical; December 24th, 2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: frequently used correction

Beans

I have been using vivid gnome from the start and look forward to testing the updates. Will likely be a few more days before I can play.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am in and I am not getting the effect that Kansasnoob reports. Both Fequently Used and All spill the application icons into the Dash in a quick and orderly fashion.

There is definitely a left screen edge mouse swip guesture to reveal the combined launcher and dash. It works intermittenly when an application is open but with an empty workspace a left edge swipe guesture reveals the launcher/dash.

The help application is crashing. Yelp closed unexpectedly = SIGSEGV etc.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Mouse will freeze, screen will lock after succesive spills-to-screen from apps icon. Also.. what appears to be a ?unity-panel? auto hide function

Regards..

Beans

I have installed all those, that are needed to run Gnome-shell DE with GDM only and they do work just fine.
    Gnome-backgrounds is already in Vivid
    I installed clutter, gnome-control-center, gnome-shell, gnome-settings-daemon, gnome-themes-standard, mutter.

More info:
    I do not have any issues with mouse-over nor menu launcher highlighting nor opening the menu with the bottom launcher.
    Everything works just fine.
    Last edited by harry332; December 25th, 2014 at 11:23 AM.
    Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz / Asus Sabertooth Z97 / G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 Mhz
    Samsung 850 PRO 128 Gt SSD SATA III / HP Z27i 27" IPS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It works nicelly for the first couple of minutes. Hide bar also works nicely.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I have been running a gnome3 install since vivid inception. It has not hic-upped once.
    Same here! Actually, I've been using the Gnome-Shell DE for a couple of years...

I can't think of one issue with GS xxx in Vivid.

I do get occasional non-critical warning/error dialogs during boot, but it has EVERYTHING to do with systemd and/or the Linux kernel RCs that I run, and NOTHING to do with Gnome.

Tim has been doing a good job, behind the scenes!

Hrm...

I guess I'll test GS 3.14 Staging on a USB stick install. I don't want to do a wash, rinse, and restyle on my HD.
    Last edited by VinDSL; December 25th, 2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Addendum
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

A bit radical?
    Code:
    :~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade [sudo] password for zika: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      libopts25 ntp
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      libgeocode-glib0
    The following packages will be upgraded:
      gnome-control-center gnome-control-center-data gnome-settings-daemon
      gnome-settings-daemon-schemas
    4 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 8457 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 18,4 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
    I'll have to catch some time to read changelog(s). Before I loose automatic time synchronization due to forgetfulness until next „autoremove“...
    Last edited by zika; December 25th, 2014 at 03:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast