Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: problem installing latest Flash player on Firefox

Beans

problem installing latest Flash player on Firefox

I installed 'pepperflashplugin-nonfree' from the Ubuntu Software Center, then I installed Fresh Player Plugin, using this code:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install freshplayerplugin

Next, I tested it out, I loaded Firefox, I tried YouTube, and it worked great, however, as I read further, a major problem with using 'pepperflashplugin-nonfree', there is no autoupdate, which is a security problem, and the only way to get the latest flash player plus updates is to install Google Chrome.

First, I uninstalled 'pepperflashplugin-nonfree' and Fresh Player Plugin, then I downloaded Google Chrome from here (http://www.google.com/chrome/) and installed it, then I reinstalled Fresh Player Plugin, I tested it out, I tried YouTube, I'm getting this error:

Failed to load "libpepflashplayer.so".
    Last edited by argonvegell; December 24th, 2014 at 03:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: problem installing latest Flash player on Firefox

I always just install a package called "flashplugin-installer". It simply seems to work off the bat and I have been doing it for years. I use firefox exclusively.

I guess I would suggest

Code:
    dpkg -l | grep pepper
    see the status of it in the first column, expecting it to be: ii

anyway, I would apt-get autoremove pepperflashplugin-nonfree chrome-browser (or whatever the package name is)

and just
    Code:
    apt-get install flashplugin-installer

oh and then use -r (or -R cannot rem) to remove the ppa and apt-get update.

But I guess
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep pepper
    or
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep -v ^ii
    would be useful

Beans

Thanks for the reply, unforunately 'flashplugin-installer' installs the 11.0 version of Flash and I need the 16.0 version, which is included with Google Chrome, the site that I go to doesn't run well with the 11.0 version, sorry. And I don't want to use Google Chrome, the interface doesn't work will with me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Okay, argon. I guess this is where my help ends. I find flash to be the most bloated nonsense ever created and messing about with it even more so - so long as I can just stream video I am not entirely bothered, so selfishly flashplugin-installer does the trick for me. Hopefully someone else can help; I did do some superficial searching but I did not turn up anything useful.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3246251196 View Post
    Okay, argon. I guess this is where my help ends. I find flash to be the most bloated nonsense ever created and messing about with it even more so - so long as I can just stream video I am not entirely bothered, so selfishly flashplugin-installer does the trick for me. Hopefully someone else can help; I did do some superficial searching but I did not turn up anything useful.
    Thanks for trying to help, I really appreciate it, the site that's having problems with flashplugin-installer is Blip.tv, the videos on there are running so slowly with the 11.0 version, I'm a big fan of the Nostalgia Critic and in order to get his latest reviews, I have to watch it on Blip.tv, well, I hope someone can help me with this, if not, I'll have to settle with just YouTube, which works well with 11.0, but for how long?

Merry Christmas!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

There is Flash 11.2 that works on Firefox (flashplugin-installer). Youtube works fine on it and will continue to work fine on Flash 11.2, especially as Youtube is moving away from Flash. I rarely have to enable the flash player to watch a video on Youtube, most is html5 nowadays.

The pepper flash plugin (pepperflashplugin-nonfree) does not work on Firefox, but it does work on Chrome and Chromium. It's build-in in Chrome and can be installed via the repositories for Chromium. The installer actually downloads Chrome and draws the plugin out of the package. It doesn't seem to update automatically, but reinstalling the package just upgraded flash from 15 to 16. I rarely use Flash.

Beans

Simple workaround: use the "User Agent Switcher" Add-on in Firefox to make blip.tv believe you're on an iPhone. That will make blip.tv send the video as HTML5 video without using flash at all. You might have to right-klick on the player and choose "Play" and/or "Show Controls" from the menu. Works for me, it's unwatchable using flash on my netbook but works just fine if I masquerade as an iPhone.

Just don't forget to switch back afterwards, otherwise pages will look quite different from what you're used to.
    Last edited by Holger_Gehrke; December 24th, 2014 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Clarification

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by argonvegell View Post
    Thanks for the reply, unforunately 'flashplugin-installer' installs the 11.0 version of Flash and I need the 16.0 version, which is included with Google Chrome, the site that I go to doesn't run well with the 11.0 version, sorry. And I don't want to use Google Chrome, the interface doesn't work will with me.
    You're not going to get Flash 16 for Firefox unless you hack around with something called pipelight (google it). Flash 11 is the end of the line for Firefox Flash in Linux.

You can use Chrome, which has Flash built in, or the open source chromium browser (in conjuction with pepperflashplugin-nonfree package to make Chrome's Flash usable with chromium).

It doesn't seem to update automatically,
    For update, you can just run:
    Code:
    sudo update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yea. Pepperflash has nothing to do with Firefox. It is for Chromium. It rips the flash from Chrome and actually downloads parts of Chrome to do it.

As mentioned, if you want to use the latest flash with Firefox, the only alternative is to experiment with Pipelight or install Chromium (in the repositories) and then pepperflashplugin-nonfree, or install Chrome. Have no idea where fresh player fits into all this. No experience with it.

* PS: just did a bit of research and 'Fresh Player Plugin is a new (alpha!) wrapper', which is why I've never heard of it. Guess it might be a bit hit or miss at this point. Maybe you can help out by experimenting and seeing where you can go with it. Good luck.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 25th, 2014 at 08:47 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    The pepper flash plugin (pepperflashplugin-nonfree) does not work on Firefox, but it does work on Chrome and Chromium. It's build-in in Chrome and can be installed via the repositories for Chromium. The installer actually downloads Chrome and draws the plugin out of the package. It doesn't seem to update automatically, but reinstalling the package just upgraded flash from 15 to 16. I rarely use Flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    You're not going to get Flash 16 for Firefox unless you hack around with something called pipelight (google it). Flash 11 is the end of the line for Firefox Flash in Linux.

You can use Chrome, which has Flash built in, or the open source chromium browser (in conjuction with pepperflashplugin-nonfree package to make Chrome's Flash usable with chromium).

For update, you can just run:
    Code:
    sudo update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install
    The hack I'm using is Fresh Player Plugin, which is a wrapper for the PPAPI to make it compatible with Firefox, as I said in my first post, I was successful in using Fresh Player Plugin to use Flash Player 16 in Firefox, by installing 'pepperflashplugin-nonfree', however, the issue I read on Debian forums, is that pepperflashplugin-nonfree doesn't have autoupdate, one must manually check if updates, which is a security problem, the only way to get autoupdated flash player is to install Google Chrome and using Fresh Player Plugin so Firefox can use Pepper Flash Plugin from Chrome, as described here: http://www.webupd8.org/2014/05/insta...in-ubuntu.html

However, I get this error:

Failed to load "libpepflashplayer.so".

Are there any good PPAs for pepperflashplugin?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast