Thread: How much memory does a web site use?

Beans

Question How much memory does a web site use?

I have a server (v. 10.04 until I can get time to get a 14.04 running) which hosts several domains on the same server. I want to find a way to see how much memory a domain is taking up. Sorta like phptop but I don't want to use phptop becuase it won't run as a cron job. If I use top it only shows how much memory an apache process is taking but it doesn't show me what domain that process is referring to. Anyone know of a tool that can help with this?
    RavenLX

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How much memory does a web site use?

It doesn't really work that way.
    Traffic, any external dependencies and the language used for the website/static content matter more. The best recommendation is to setup system-wide performance monitoring and watch how that changes over a month, a year. That will give you a better idea how things work as a single new vhost is added.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RavenLX View Post
    If I use top it only shows how much memory an apache process is taking but it doesn't show me what domain that process is referring to. Anyone know of a tool that can help with this?
    The Apache listener processes are not tied to a specific virtual host. They simply accept inbound requests and respond accordingly depending on the URL. Most listeners on my server use from 9-40 MB of memory per instance. This machine has 2G of memory and handles other tasks as well, but still has a lot of free memory.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I see. I don't know how phptop is doing it then. I looked at the code and was confused. Thanks for all the advice. I think I agree that other approaches might be more appropriate.
    RavenLX

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Other factors... RAM is a factor... memory used by a Web Host domain becomes a factor when how much server side scripts and applications are using on the server side of the site. A rule of thumb limit for a lot of web hosting services is a 500MB limit on each site. Above that, they charge more. It usually has to be some fairly large, complex scripts to breach that limit. More of a factor is CPU, dB connections and throughput. Unless my thinking on that is mis-guided... that is just what I've found so far.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; December 24th, 2014 at 09:50 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've seen webservers with 3000 virtualhosts, but next to no traffic.
    And i've seen single websites with 200 servers being load balanced.

Until you capture the performance stats for THIS PARTICULAR SERVER, we don't know anything.