Thread: Netbeans on Ubuntu 14.04

Beans

Netbeans on Ubuntu 14.04

Hi everyone

A few weeks ago I installed Ubuntu 14.04 on my lap top and this isn't the first time I do it.
    I had some problems trying to install Netbeans. I downloaded it from the official site and I started the instalation , however when it was about to finish the process a little window poped up and showed me a message that I can't remember completely. But this window was indicating that an error has been ocurred during the installation.

After that, I tried to run Netbeans but it wasn't possible. I can see the icon in the dash but nothing happens when I click it.

I've been trying to do the installation downloading Netbeans from the official site, as I mentioned before, and also from the official repositories but I have the same problem.

I can't uninstalling it completely either and I don't know what the problem is. After finishing the uninstall process it seem that there hasn't been any problems however when I look for the program in the dash I still can see the icon of Netbeans but now it looks like a little white paper.

My operating system is up to date

Could someone tell me how can I solve this problem please?
    How can I remove Netbeans completely from Ubuntu and start a new installation?

Thanks.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Netbeans on Ubuntu 14.04

Although you requested help several months ago now, in case you never fixed this issue, I'd suggest you "ask ubuntu" for this kind of problem - that should increase your chances of getting replies and efficient support I believe.

I'm also in the process of installing NetBeans on Kubuntu 14.04 and although the installation via Muon went well - NetBeans 7.0.1 starts apparently normally - I detected a few Java errors in NetBeans' logfile, some of them tagged as "SEVERE". "Duckduckgoing" a bit led me to examples of people giving up with the Ubuntu package of NetBeans (also true with Eclipse btw which regularly crashes right after a fresh install via Muon - I experienced it myself) and successfully moving to the official download from NetBeans.org. As a matter of fact, you didn't have the chance to succeed by going the NetBeans.org way, so it leaves me a bit puzzled... This is where I stand at the time of writing... planning to install both Oracle JDK 8 and NetBeans 8 from Oracle.com. I'll see what happens...

It's sad to say, but Java IDEs as currently packaged on Ubuntu 14.04 are close to <I won't write that rude word> A real pity since anyone would expect from an Ubuntu LTS release a "minimal" level of stability when installing such famous Java IDEs via the official Muon installer. I really feel frustrated and disappointed...
    Last edited by pubalapoub; August 13th, 2015 at 03:19 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Netbeans on Ubuntu 14.04

What makes you think AU would be better?

If the user provided no more information than "an error I don't remember", they'd get no better response.

If you have a support request rather than a gripe for your first post, please start a new thread.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.