Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon MX-925 printer / scanner

Beans

Re: Canon MX-925 printer / scanner

I'm getting very weird results now. It will print, but also always prints a partial test page [the black and white part - not the color part] as the first page even though NOT asked to...then prints the page I asked it to. Also, I had left the terminal open when I selected a 'new' printer [many were listed and to my untrained eye several represented the same printer [only one now connected]...but the terminal wrote the following even though I got a print [and an unwanted partial test page]: No ID match for device usb://Canon/MX920%20series?serial=11156D&interface=1:MFG:Canon ;MDL:MX920 series;CMD:BJL,BJRaster3,BSCCe,NCCe,IVEC,IVECPLI;D ES:Canon MX920 series;

Also getting messages such as Idle - Sending data to printer listed for the printer state of printers not listed as the default. Is that indicating a print job was once sent there and is now stalled? I don't know if it is safe to delete all the extra listed printers, as I don't know which one really is listed as connected properly - none seem to be working fully at this time. Telling it to print a 'self-test' or to print a 'test page' gives only a B&W, off-center, too light test page...not centered, not very dark and no color as before. Pfft.

Still no scanner. Ill try reinstalling that driver. I had done so before using the same manner as you describe.
    Last edited by crazybear; December 23rd, 2014 at 07:37 AM.

Beans

I don't know Sooty ..............for those old enough to remember Harry Corbett ............

you seem to be fighting demons and monsters ............

it all depends on how much time you have;

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingPrintingProblems

in this, there is a section called
    Sending a file to the printer unfiltered
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingPri...ter_unfiltered

Code:
    lp -d <printer> -oraw <file>
    so yours might be

Code:
    lp -d MX925USB -oraw <file>

you could use CUPS http://localhost:631/printers/ or
    Code:
    system-config-printer
    to delete all existing entries; and start them anew

Beans

I will try a few things in the next 24 hours and report back.....things still not working properly on a new and good printer that is supposed to work well in Ubuntu.....

Beans

see post below.
    Last edited by crazybear; December 25th, 2014 at 07:10 PM.

Beans

Pffft. I deleted all the odd printers, re-installed the one offered. Strange that now my old printer is NOT offered...as I'd like the option to use it too - especially if this one has to be returned as not compatible.
    Every print requested gets, now, two improperly printed test pages [not requested] and the item to be printed is much lighter than it should be by the settings. Haven't tried color much, as don't want to waste ink if things are still problematic.
    Re-installed scanner for this series [not the common] and ran scanner update...but all programs report there are no scanners [there should be two as I plugged in the old printer too].
    However, from command line it scans - seemingly well.
    But prints and scans are not working properly and not coordinated with software - nor with what I ask to be done.
    Still getting terminal messages like: GA-X58A-UD7:~/Desktop/scangearmp-mx920series-2.10-1-deb$ scangearmpXlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".
    [when I'm not aware of any display problems]

Beans

It iS ALL much worse now....only prints parts of test prints; no longer will print what I want it to print...just gives error message and freezes up. I can print nothing now and can't even get the terminal to really respond properly on the system-config-printer command. Very frustrated!

"Unable to send data to printer."
    Last edited by crazybear; December 26th, 2014 at 02:48 PM.

Beans

OK, now after reinstalling the drivers and doing several other things, it is getting better...almost to the point I can say it is 'working' properly. Do you know how I can get the same choices [many] when I hit 'print' in a program, as when I enter system-config-printer via the command line?....then I'll have all the functionality of the printer.

Beans

No, I spoke too soon.....it often prints well, then all of a sudden it will do something strange like print the top half of a page twice on the printed page......I don't understand where the problem is. At the moment none of the prints are correct; for the last few days they were OK - with no change of settings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12