Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Renovated abcde guide...

Beans

Renovated abcde guide...

I have renovated a guide for the commandline ripper abcde during the long task of renovating my entire website. I am very keen that abcde users on these Forums have a look and cast the blowtorch of criticism across its belly in the interests of making the guide more robust.

Major changes have been:

1. Aimed the whole guide at abcde 2.6
    2. Added an Opus section as standalone and 'combo' menu
    3. Updated the Musepack section to cater for the newly added SV8
    4. Removed the long list of codec definitions that nobody ever read!
    5. Tested and slightly tweaked the options for each codec

abcde: Command Line Music CD Ripping for Linux
    http://www.andrews-corner.org/abcde.html

I also fixed a few small but significant syntax errors. A disappointment has been remaining with faac for aac encoding. The NeroAacEnc addition really needs a little work in abcde so I was loath to use it and mc4man has not yet organised fdkaac to be included .

Edit: As a final test I am using abcde magic to encode to six different codecs, it is almost magical the way it does that . Screenshot.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by andrew.46; December 22nd, 2014 at 04:58 AM.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Re: Renovated abcde guide...

I still use abcde and your configs. Most recently to move some weird stock music from CD to a file server in the work office. Titles such as "Manifest Destiny", "Force of Hobbit", and "Modern Gladiator".

As for the guide this sentence, from the MP3 section, is confusing:
    Encoding is done post-encoding so options can be added here for this as well.
    A link to Hydrogenaudio LAME might be worth mentioning too.

Other than that looks good to me.

Beans

I thought I worked that out. Am currently moving to a new ext. ssd & due to a small self - inflicted snafu with unetbottin can no longer boot to prev. install.

Any way at a min. this - (based on the diff in ppa for abcde - 2.5.5+git as of 07/05
    Meant to be used with fdkaac-encoder binary
    Code:
    @@ -3952,6 +3952,12 @@
     		AACENCODEROPTS="${AACENCODEROPTSCLI:-$AACENCOPTS}"
     		AACENCODER="$AACENC"
     		;;
    +esac
    +case "$AACENCODERSYNTAX" in
    +	fdkaac)
    +		AACENCODEROPTS="${AACENCODEROPTSCLI:-$AACENCOPTS}"
    +		AACENCODER="$AACENC"
    +		;;
     esac
    After I get set up ect. tonight will ck. out when I can

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    I thought I worked that out. [...] Any way at a min. this - (based on the diff in ppa for abcde - 2.5.5+git as of 07/05
    I have something similar but I took the chance to renovate the ghastly mess of the other 2 aac encoders, patch attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by andrew.46; December 23rd, 2014 at 02:29 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    As for the guide this sentence, from the MP3 section, is confusing:

Encoding is done post-encoding so options can be added here for this as well.
    A link to Hydrogenaudio LAME might be worth mentioning too.
    D'oh!! It should read 'Tagging is done post-encoding.....'! Thanks for catching that, I have fixed it and added in the link as you suggested.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    I have something similar but I took the chance to renovate the ghastly mess of the other 2 aac encoders, patch attached.
    That looks ok & via your version I notice there has been some activity in the git - thanks

Beans

Mind you if you are adding 2.6 to a PPA just be aware there is an issue with tagging mp3s with older versions of eyeD3 which possibly should have been resolved before the release. Two posts have a fix:

https://code.google.com/p/abcde/issues/detail?id=116

https://code.google.com/p/abcde/issues/detail?id=101

The first post seems to have a well known name, could be the lead developer of Fetchmail, Leafnode 2 and others ? I relinquished my ability to contribute to abcde so I no longer have commit rights, probably just as well as the mp3 tagging issue is a little messy! (Mind you using eyeD3 0.7.5 means there are no issues).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Mind you if you are adding 2.6 to a PPA just be aware there is an issue with tagging mp3s with older versions of eyeD3 which possibly should have been resolved before the release. Two posts have a fix:

https://code.google.com/p/abcde/issues/detail?id=116

https://code.google.com/p/abcde/issues/detail?id=101

The first post seems to have a well known name, could be the lead developer of Fetchmail, Leafnode 2 and others ? I relinquished my ability to contribute to abcde so I no longer have commit rights, probably just as well as the mp3 tagging issue is a little messy! (Mind you using eyeD3 0.7.5 means there are no issues).
    I'll look into forthwith, thanks.. (atm there aren't that many users of abcde via the ppa, currently 77

Beans

Mind you in an extra bonus for my guide I have added in the fdkaac patch as well as the quite useful patch for higher bitrates with faac. I will work over the next little while to change encoding with fdkaac and NeroAacEnc to 'inline' tagging rather than use AtomicParsley for post encode tagging (which I have never warmed to). I gather inline tagging with faac would be problematic with Debian / Ubuntu license issues although I am not sure where that wrangle is currently up to .

Beans

Will have to do some mp3 encoding tests over the holiday.
    What is clear is if users want to use eyed3 0.7.x then they'll have to build it & make any needed adjustments.
    (- currently debian/ubuntu are using a 2.5 year old version of eyed3

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast