Thread: Can't mount a DVD drive in Linux?

Beans

Can't mount a DVD drive in Linux?

I installed Linux Ubuntu on my Chromebook a month or so ago. I have recently started looking in Wine to install some Windows programs (specifically Office 2007). However when I plug my external DVD drive in (since it doesn't have an internal one), the dvd drive is not recognised. I plugged it once before and it was detected fine however for some reason now it isn't. I have tried many different things after searching on Google but nothing works. This was one of the pages that I looked at which got me a but further, however when i typed lsblk the dvd drive isn't shown. Is there any other way to mount the dvd drive?

Beans

Re: Can't mount a DVD drive in Linux?

Plug the thing in, count ten missississis, and then post the last few lines of:

dmesg

Beans

OK ran that and this a screenshot of the last few lines(couldn't copy and paste for some reason):

Beans

The output you posted shows the DVD drive is detected. Do you not see anything under the /media directory when you put the DVD in the drive? What is on the DVD?

You could try creating a mount point by opening a terminal and entering the following: sudo mkdir /mnt/dvd
    Then try mounting it: sudo mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/dvd

That is a number zero in sr0, not a letter O. Post back with the results.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Seemes to be recognized just fine.

Keep in mind you can't mount optical media drive, only the actual media itself (hence the error about lsblk not finding anything, the drive itself isn't a block device...). Mounting is something you do with filesystems while empty drive doesn't have one.

Beans

Tried doing that and it came up with the drive is already mounted. The disc which I was using is Office 2007 (installing it Wine) and I tried it on my Desktop before and it worked. However turns out it was nothing to do with the DVD drive and was to do with the DVD it self. When looking at (which I didn't notice before, not sure if the DVD drive has damaged it in someway) there is a considerable scratch right through the center of the disc which I can only assume means it won't be recognised. Sorry for being so stupid and not looking at this before but thanks for your help