Thread: /media/<LABEL> or <UUID> Quick Questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

/media/<LABEL> or <UUID> Quick Questions.

These are for an external drive's partition. (For backup, as an example).

Code:
    /media/<UUID>/backup/whatever 
    or 
    media/<LABEL>/backup/whatever
    Are these equally fine to use?

Is that how to write the path for a LABEL? I have used the UUID's, but never used a label before.

Reading from here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RenameUSBDrive

"By default, external drives automatically mounted at /media/disk then /media/disk-1 and so on. This is not very helpful when trying to find the drive you are looking for, especially if you have multiple devices plugged in. Labeled devices that are automatically mounted will be mounted in the /media directory using their label as the mount point, /media/<label>. ex: /media/my_external"

Reading from here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingUUID

"Linux now prefers to use UUID (Universally Unique Identifier), LABEL, or symlinks to identify media storage devices on a system. Directly using /dev/hd*# or /dev/sd*# is no longer preferred since these device assignments can change between system boots: all filesystems should be specified by UUID=<id> or LABEL=<name> for each partition."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: /media/<LABEL> or <UUID> Quick Questions.

External devices are auto mounted. If the partition has a label then it will mount with the label, otherwise it uses the UUID. You do not have to manually mount, but can.

And you can use gparted to create labels when partitioning, with right click. Or you can use Disks but often have to unmount partition to assign a label.

I labelled mine, label means something to me as it was from MicroCenter and is 4GB flash drive.
    Code:
    device     fs_type label        mount point            UUID
    /dev/sdc1  vfat    MC4GB    /media/fred/MC4GB     E489-24AF
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: /media/<LABEL> or <UUID> Quick Questions.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    External devices are auto mounted. If the partition has a label then it will mount with the label, otherwise it uses the UUID. You do not have to manually mount, but can.

And you can use gparted to create labels when partitioning, with right click. Or you can use Disks but often have to unmount partition to assign a label.

I labelled mine, label means something to me as it was from MicroCenter and is 4GB flash drive.
    Code:
    device     fs_type label        mount point            UUID
    /dev/sdc1  vfat    MC4GB    /media/fred/MC4GB     E489-24AF
    Thanks Fred. It was in another response to me, that you mentioned using labels. That is why I started looking into them.

Kind Regards.