Thread: wubi 14.04: after security update with nvidia drivers windows 7 does not boot

Beans

wubi 14.04: after security update with nvidia drivers windows 7 does not boot

Despite constant warnings from the community I have been using WUBI right from version 10.04 onwards till version 14.04 on my laptops to my uttermost satisfaction! I also run all security and other updates regularly. Two days ago, I ran the update on my Lenovo Thinkpad 420W as usual without too much looking what it was.

When rebooting, UBUNTU showed a black screen and I could neither boot into Windows 7. I suppose that it must have to do with the Nvidia driver (and accessory programs) that were in the most recent security update. Since Lenovo has the Primus system that includes a low-end Intel graphics and a high-end Nvidia graphics that are switchable, I suppose that the update must have changed some setting of the graphics. I do not know whether the boot manager is involved in this. After fumbling around in the BIOS trying several settings for the graphics I am now back to a functioning UBUNTU but Windows does still not boot. I have tried all of the recovery options for Windows but all just run for several minutes and then restart into the same corrupted Windows system as before. I have not the slightest idea how a change in WUBI can affect Windows. Help is greatly appreciated!
    thanks, D-E

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: wubi 14.04: after security update with nvidia drivers windows 7 does not boot

Wubi does use the Windows boot loader and I can only suggest these two links . Because Wubi is no longer actively developed informed support is more difficult to find . The current problem is with Windows so I don't if anything Ubuntu related would help.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1639198

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Re: wubi 14.04: after security update with nvidia drivers windows 7 does not boot

Quote Originally Posted by dieter-erich View Post
    I have not the slightest idea how a change in WUBI can affect Windows.
    IMHO it is not a Wubi issue because a Wubi installed Ubuntu doesn't use special graphic card drivers. There is no difference if you use Ubuntu without Wubi.
    Quote Originally Posted by dieter-erich View Post
    I suppose that it must have to do with the Nvidia driver (and accessory programs) that were in the most recent security update.
    If you're right, it should affect other users with similar hardware, too. It does not depend if these users use Wubi or Windows. Of course, if the graphic card "doesn't forget" settings, it could affect Windows, too.

In this case, it could be helpful, if you turn off your computer, disconnect power connector and remove battery. Maybe, you can erase incorrect settings with this procedure.
    Last edited by hakuna_matata; December 17th, 2014 at 07:20 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna_matata View Post
    If you're right, it should affect other users with similar hardware, too.
    There's another thread currently running where the latest security update of the nvidia driver also seems to have broken Ubuntu 14.04. Not similar hardware, however.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Wubi relies on the Windows boot loader and is an entry in the Windows BCD.
    You may be able to press f8 to get into Windows repair console.
    If you run autofix you have to run it 3 times.

f8 to get to repair install screen
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...t-options.html
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.