View Poll Results: What online backup service do you use?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • backblaze

0 0%
  • crashplan

2 20.00%
  • carbonite

1 10.00%
  • sos online backup

0 0%
  • livedrive

1 10.00%
  • mozy

1 10.00%
  • bitcasa

0 0%
  • spideroak

5 50.00%
  • sugarsync

0 0%
  • zoolz

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What online backup service do you use?

Beans

Re: What online backup service do you use?

I'm now in the 3rd year of using CrashPlan to backup my Linux desktop and my wife's Windows 7 desktop.

CrashPlan handles both OSes very nicely, is very user-friendly, and charges a reasonable amount for the 2TB of storage that our two systems require for backup.

I've restored files perhaps 10 times during our 2+ years with CrashPlan, and in every case the restoration was easy and quick (the speed being helped by the fact that our ISP, Grande Communications, has since last February provided us with 1 gigabit/second service).
    Last edited by rewyllys; December 21st, 2014 at 09:33 PM.

Beans

crashplan seems good to me.. but i rather prefer offline backup.. well i understand of the disaster probability mentioned by OP, but i think we still need offline backup no matter what.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Andika_Demas_Riyan View Post
    crashplan seems good to me.. but i rather prefer offline backup.. well i understand of the disaster probability mentioned by OP, but i think we still need offline backup no matter what.
    I agree with you, and I also use LuckyBackup to keep a daily synchronized backup to my desktop.

Also, one of the options offered by CrashPlan is to maintain the backup of your files on the computer of a relative or friend of yours whom you trust completely.

Beans

Great post.

If users could also comment on whether or not there are any free high storage online backup websites, that would be much appreciated.
    Seems like most allow 5 GB or so for free.
    Update: I'm looking at "Adrive" now - it has 50 GB for free. Downside is the free account is not encrypted.
    Update 2: Adrive.com wouldn't recognize my Java in 2 different browsers, but it did allow me to use a non-Java upload option.
    I'm sending 25 GB to it now. Another downside is that it is very slow (about 240 KiB/second). Also, it forced me to select files, not a folder.
    Update 3: I canceled the upload. Takes way too long. One would have to do this overnight as they slept.
    Last edited by michael-piziak; December 23rd, 2014 at 11:40 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I use Dropbox, Mega and Spideroak (got unlimited for $150 a year)

Beans

I use mainly Dropbox and Mega, but I've been more inclined to Mega lately because of its security features and free space offered.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I don't use an online backup service, but I have been reading about this one:

rsync.net

Maybe someday, with a OpenSSH Server ...

edit: I am thinking of just a small amount of backed up data though. Maybe, just 2 GB. Large volumes of data would be pricey.
    Last edited by mikodo; December 29th, 2014 at 04:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Re: What online backup service do you use?

Some years ago I used Mozy for a couple of years until I learned their dirty secret. One day I chose to create a physically separate backup to an external hard drive utilizing Mozy. I thought I'd then lock up that drive in my file cabinet. That's when I discovered that if the Mozy software does not perceive a dynamic connection to the storage drive, that a countdown of 30 days will begin before the data is permanently wiped from the Mozy servers while I am still paying monthly for my account. What The Heck? <------Polite. So I quit them.

Then I discovered the difference between dynamic storage (e.g. Carbonite) and static storage (e.g. Dropbox). I now only use static storage X three sets: Dropbox, Google Drive, external hard drive. All locations maintain the same data set.

Everything that is time constrained I simply place in folders and date.
    Aller Anfang ist schwer.

ASUS PRIME Z690-A; 12th Gen Intel i3-12100 4100 MHz; RAM DDR5 4800 MHz; NVME Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2 TB

Beans

Currently, I'm a Backblaze subscriber. Personally, I find Backblaze easiest to use, quicker to back up, and less of a hog on my computer's resource than other services.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

does mega have any client? or still only web based?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast