Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "E: Unable to locate package mate-desktop-environment-extras"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: "E: Unable to locate package mate-desktop-environment-extras"???

i use mate dvd https://plus.google.com/111285327879...ts/2dTTB6qBHrA for a test ,works good i use nvidiafb driver
    on a imac 700/800 with Persistent Live FW (its fast with FW disk )
    Last edited by abtabt; December 18th, 2014 at 01:54 PM.

Beans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by abtabt View Post
    i use mate dvd https://plus.google.com/111285327879...ts/2dTTB6qBHrA for a test ,works good i use nvidiafb driver
    on a imac 700/800 with Persistent Live FW (its fast with FW disk )
    @abtabt: Nice to hear from you again, my iMac is once again "not well" . . . RAM problems again, but I did test out this spin from rsavage from G+ . . . put it on a USB drive but the computer didn't find it using option key, probably would have to use openfirmware . . . but, what is this "Persistent Live FW" that you are talking about?

@vasa1: Thanks for the link to the story . . . I have that iso . . . and I do like MATE quite a bit, it just seems like a few problems showed up while booted in the LiveDVD . . . and, hoping to be able to add MATE thru the repository doesn't seem do-able for PPC . . . have to wait until I have more time to fiddle with it . . . already have a lot of time spent getting 14.04 "fixed" to run on the iBook . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

e.e.p.

Persistent Live FW (its fast with FW disk ) i use a extern FireWire disk its faster then USB 1.1 and i think 2.0 is slower ,about 1 min to boot its like hd speed and its still
    there to use next time no need to re typ yaboot stuff nomodeset etc, only power up and start ther you end last day to explore more install more etc
    Last edited by abtabt; December 18th, 2014 at 05:34 PM.

Beans

e.e.p.

Persistent Live FW (its fast with FW disk ) i use a extern FireWire disk its faster then USB 1.1 and i think 2.0 is slower ,about 1 min to boot its like hd speed and its still
    there to use next time no need to re typ yaboot stuff nomodeset etc, only power up and start ther you end last day to explore more install more etc
    @abtabt: Alrighty . . . external HD connected to FW . . . I'll have to look into this further. But, did you "install" the system? Or, you just have the .iso moved to an external HD partition and use GRUB to boot? Does the iso have to be the only item in the partition? Or can it be loaded in with other items? Any keys to use on boot? Like the option key?

These kind of questions,

e.e.p.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: "E: Unable to locate package mate-desktop-environment-extras"

no install
    if you look in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ#H...a_USB_drive.3F

about Persistent Live USB then you can see how to (in my case i use Firewire disk)

you can start with c key or alt key or open firmware its like DVD but you save all you
    do and can edit yaboot config etc

about if you can mix with other stuff, yes you can but ........

read How_do_I_boot_from_a_USB and you see diff way to do

but Persistent Live USB/FIREWIRE/HD install works very well

Beans

Re: "E: Unable to locate package mate-desktop-environment-extras"

no install
    if you look in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ#H...a_USB_drive.3F

about Persistent Live USB then you can see how to (in my case i use Firewire disk)
    you can start with c key or alt key or open firmware its like DVD but you save all you
    do and can edit yaboot config etc
    about if you can mix with other stuff, yes you can but ........
    read How_do_I_boot_from_a_USB and you see diff way to do

but Persistent Live USB/FIREWIRE/HD install works very well
    @abtabt:

Thanks for the followup . . . I will read it, but, w/o reading it yet, I'm getting the idea that it would be similar to making a bootable USB drive . . . but, on an ext HD???

I'll check it out . . . appreciate it . . . .

e.e.p.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by este.el.paz View Post

I think when I first tried 14.10 this desktop frozen thing was happening, or possibly it was with 14.04 . . . possibly fixed with an xorg.conf file, but question would be whether this MATE system is requiring more than the iBook has to deliver??

e.e.p.
    Well it was compiled and built on a machine with 512MB, so unless you have less than that, then no.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    Well it was compiled and built on a machine with 512MB, so unless you have less than that, then no.
    @rsavage:

Thanks for the reply, OK, I think I have 540MB on my iBook, but my question was from the "frozen" desktop issues in spite of using the "agp.mode" boot params and usually the Live versions have been pretty good . . . only after install has it been when the problems "show up."

I think after I work on "sound" I'm going to try to figure out abtabt's suggestion to use persistent live install on a FW ext HD and play around with MATE that way . . . before trying an install. Traditionally my PPC's have "liked" XFCE and/or Xubuntu . . . and not so much straight Ubuntu . . . . But, I do like MATE . . . .
    e.e.p.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12