Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo management software?

Beans

Photo management software?

Hi,
    I know there's probably a lot of discussion about this topic, but a lot of it seems to be outdated.
    I use shotwell to manage (download from camera, sort, tag and upload to piwigo) my photos and rawtherapee/gimp to edit them. I've been mostly happy with this setup, but it seems that shotwell is freezing a lot these days. I was wondering if there's something better out there?

I'm mostly fine with the editing part, but would ultimately want a single tool that could handle all of this, like I guess Lightroom can. I booted to windows and installed a trial version of it, and it really seems like the ticket. Nevertheless, I'm unwilling to maintain a windows just for photography stuff.

Shotwell basically has a lot of the management features I'm looking for, but it seems a bit unstable. I have only 4 GB of memory, maybe that can affect it as well.

So, what's out there?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Photo management software?

Take a look at digiKam. It can be a little dense, taking a little time to work your way around the interface. However, it’s worth the effort.

Beans

I use Google Picasa. Picasa is a free software download from Google that helps you to locate and organize all the photos on your computer, edit and add effects to your photos with a few simple clicks and share your photos with others through email and print. It’s fast, easy and free.

Beans

Yes Google Picasa is the bets option i also use Google Picasa as a photo management software.Apart from this you can use DigiBookShelf,Cam2pc,Faststone Image Viewer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The problem with Picasa is that Google has decided that "All you data are beloing to Google". It has nice functions to identify people on pictures, but when you identify Aunt Emma it also wants to the address and phone number of Aunt Emma, and this is a bit too much.

On Linux you have Darktable, Digikam, gPhoto... (being a KDE person I use Digikam and Gwenview).
    Warning: unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The trouble for me was printing my digital photos on glossy photo paper easily.

I generally use Gimp if I need powerful editing (similar to what's available in Photoshop) but for routine usage I stick with Gwenview for both photos and regular pictures and graphics. Since I'm a Kubuntu user, Kipi plugins (which are exclusively for KDE, i.e. Kubuntu) for Gwenview, digiKam, and other KDE-oriented graphics programs, allow the needed printer functions.

This year I created, edited, and printed all my Holiday cards using Gwenview to manage, edit, and print photo cards on photo-paper. Details are here:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/PhotoPrinting

(I have no idea how to do something similar in Ubuntu. Kubuntu has always been a superior incarnation of Ubuntu for me because KDE is so powerful).

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You could also give darktable a try...

It's pretty nice both for managing the photos, and for dealing with the RAW workflow. The easiest way to install is to use it's official Ubuntu PPA for 14.04 & 14.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    You could also give darktable a try...

It's pretty nice both for managing the photos, and for dealing with the RAW workflow. The easiest way to install is to use it's official Ubuntu PPA for 14.04 & 14.10
    Darktable is excellent at what it does but it's not a photo management software.

Quote Originally Posted by ofnuts View Post
    The problem with Picasa is that Google has decided that "All you data are beloing to Google". It has nice functions to identify people on pictures, but when you identify Aunt Emma it also wants to the address and phone number of Aunt Emma, and this is a bit too much.

On Linux you have Darktable, Digikam, gPhoto... (being a KDE person I use Digikam and Gwenview).
    You can just use Picasa offline. Ofc that's not for everyone these days, but if you don't need to put a lot of pictures online it doesn't really matter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Not sure about the "one tool to rule them all" concept, but I do like how you can set Shotwell to use Gimp for editing.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

I wouldn't use Google's Picasa, it's just another bit of software designed to spy on us. It isn't the best management software anyway!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast